PDA

View Full Version : Good first experience with Optimum line (pics)

LionelHutz
07-04-2010, 12:22 AM
After being highly impressed with Optimum`s car wash, I picked up a lot of their other products on a whim. Pending results on durability, most of these are now my "go to" products. I`m really impressed by how user-friendly and effective their products are.

I followed this process: Optimum Power Clean (wheels), Optimum car wash, clay bar, Optimum Hyper Polish, Optimum Poli-Seal, Optimum Car Wax, Optimum Tire Shine. Polish with PC and Lake Country medium green pad, Poli-Seal with finishing pad. On a side note, one of my Lake Country pads separated from the backing during the detail, on maybe the third time I`ve used it--disappointing.

The paint was in fairly good shape to start out with. Some pollen residue, light swirls and a few RIDS installed by the dealer. But I was still amazed by how dirty the pads got even after a clay bar. Thumbs up for the cleaning agents.

The hyper polish is my new favorite polish, hands down. It dusts a bit until the pad is properly primed but is otherwise very easy to use. It has a surprisingly long working time. I would estimate you could work a panel for as long as 5-10 minutes with one application. In my experience, the polish didn`t visibly break down and dust off like some other brands. Still, it wipes off cleanly. With the medium pad, it doesn`t look like there was enough cut to take out all of the RIDS but swirls are totally gone.

Poli-seal is also easy to work with. I didn`t notice any night and day differences in the paint, but it was already in good shape. My one criticism is that even on dark paint, it is tough to tell whether the pad is laying down enough product. It creates a thin film and breaks down almost immediately.

OCW is simply great stuff. I hope there is some durability beyond a few weeks, because it looks great, smells great and is easy to work with.

The two products I didn`t care for were Power Clean and Tire Shine. Power clean wasn`t tough enough to cut German brake dust, even with agitation from a boar`s hair brush. It took two applications and, even then, didn`t remove everything. Tire Shine doesn`t darken the tire enough for my taste. Zaino`s tire shine does a better job as a water-based shine.

Gratuitous pics:

http://girasole.smugmug.com/Cars/Audi-S4/DSC4131/922406682_uT7yf-L.jpg

http://girasole.smugmug.com/Cars/Audi-S4/DSC4142/922406771_mWx6v-L.jpg

http://girasole.smugmug.com/Cars/Audi-S4/DSC4146/922406704_JQtX9-L.jpg

http://girasole.smugmug.com/Cars/Audi-S4/DSC4136/922189472_mKRmV-L.jpg

someidiot
07-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Love the S4. absolutely gorgeous.

I actually really like the matte look on the tires. Everyone has their preferences, I guess.

2005GTPinMD
07-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Awesome looking car. I love the Optimum Products too. Interestingly, on my BMW I have found that Power Clean with agitation does a great job of removing brake dust. I guess it would depend on the severity.

I also love OCW. I used it for the first time two weeks ago and it is just awesome. I am, too, wonder about its durability. However, I am using OCW as a topper sealant in between what I would consider complete seasonal details.

Setec Astronomy
07-04-2010, 09:23 AM
If you`re on an Optimum kick and you didn`t like the tire shine, you might try the Opti-Bond gel, it`s a little shinier, I don`t know if it`s darker then the Tire Shine or the Z-16 because I only have the older versions of those two.

LionelHutz
07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Love the S4. absolutely gorgeous.

I actually really like the matte look on the tires. Everyone has their preferences, I guess.

It`s not the matte look I didn`t like, it`s just that Optimum didn`t get the tires as dark as Zaino Z-16.

David Fermani
07-04-2010, 10:51 AM
The two products I didn`t care for were Power Clean and Tire Shine. Power clean wasn`t tough enough to cut German brake dust, even with agitation from a boar`s hair brush. It took two applications and, even then, didn`t remove everything. Tire Shine doesn`t darken the tire enough for my taste. Zaino`s tire shine does a better job as a water-based shine.

Yeah, those Germans engineer such stubborn brake dust & tires.......

I actually just switched to OPC. Out of all the APC`s I`ve used in the last 20+ years, I never seen anything come close to it`s effectiveness and versatility. Also surprised in your rating of their Tire Shine too. Great product. It`s a bit shinier than Zaino for sure.