PDA

View Full Version : Question on headlight restoration fees

g35_coupe
07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Would it be better offer a set fee for restoration (and wet-sand as necessary) or price according to amount of work required for restoration. I know a lot of the detailing pro`s just touch them up with whatever is going on the paint but I`m asking from a dedicated business standpoint. My thread disappeared so I created another one. Are most customers satisfied with the small nicks/pitting or do they expect a brand new lens.

I got my technique down on one of my fog lights and left everything looking like glass except for a small nick about the size of a pencil mark (from a large rock or something) and very minute crazing (which is only viewable with a drop-light at an angle). To me this is very acceptable by my standards and work within the fee/my time. I know it sounds like I answered my own question but I`m taking the route of levels of detailing since not all headlights are equally jacked up. If you want quick job, it will be less than a complete overhaul. I`m contemplating doing a "starting price" and adjust according. This will be a mobile service BTW. What do you guys think?

someidiot
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I`d charge one set price that would cover the most extensive details you`d have to face. Anything else would be a bonus for you, or give you an opportunity to lower the price if you feel like it.

I mean whether a headlight is totally ruined or just at the beginning of UV damage, it`s going to cost them the same amount to buy a new pair. You offer a substantial discount to their only other option.