PDA

View Full Version : Nuba on top of sealant?

99MONGUSE
07-01-2010, 01:04 AM
I would like to try the Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and toss a good carnuba on top of it; am I waisting time and

money by putting a quality carnuba on top of the sealant. I also enjoy waxing fairly regularly; should I even bother using the sealant?

Accumulator
07-01-2010, 01:29 AM
99MONGUSE- Maybe you`ll like how the combo looks :nixweiss If you like doing it, and you like how it turns out, then that`s what counts.

I myself pick the (single) LSP that I think is overall best for a given vehicle and then just use that by itself. There are sealants that look mighty carnauba-like and there are carnaubas that work fine without needing some sealant underneath them.

And note that you might end up redoing the sealant fairly often anyhow, so if you "enjoy waxing" you can just switch to "enjoying applying the sealant" :D

DM101
07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Sure you can. I don`t know if you will gain anything in the looks dept. but a coat of wax every couple or few weeks will be good protection and enjoyment for you.

Dan
07-01-2010, 10:55 AM
If you like the looks of the combo, go for it, but if you think you are getting extra protection by layering, then don`t bother. You are better off waxing more frequently.

ndtechie05
07-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I just used CG JS109 yesterday topped with some 50/50...amazingly wet appearance on my Habanero Red Civic SI...I didn`t really notice a difference in looks between the 2 but I know the durability is there.

Rob Tomlin
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I think layering a nuba on top of a sealant is (and has been for a long time) overrated.

DM101
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I don`t like the look of a lot of the sealants. This is where a nuba coat is nice.

I think layering a nuba on top of a sealant is (and has been for a long time) overrated.

Rob Tomlin
07-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I don`t like the look of a lot of the sealants. This is where a nuba coat is nice.

If you don`t like the looks of a sealant, don`t use it.

Just use your nuba instead.

DM101
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Thats obvious I don`t. Got dozens that I have tried and they sit on the shelf. <>< <>< <><

Scottwax
07-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Agreed. The whole layering/topping fetish to me is a waste of time and product. Find the LSP whose looks you like best and apply it as often as needed. You won`t be doing any more work than you would by layering and topping and it makes the whole process a lot simpler.

Passrat
07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I did P21s on top of several coats of Klasse SG last year and it actually reduces the clarity and fine definition of reflections, but did increase "jetting" a bit when looking from further away or at an angle, which I guess is the point of carnuba. Then I did it on top of KSG which already had the WG 3.0 on top of it and the "benefit" was still there but less pronounced because the WG has some of those properties already built in, which is the point of that particular WG sealant. And of course the nuba washes off pretty soon... but it is kinda funny to watch your car get shinier each time you wash it. LOL

Keep in mind this was on a grey car so black may be different. And I`m still kind of a noob so what do I know anyway... :think2

Wasatch
07-02-2010, 07:13 PM
The wax can give you a different look, but once it wears off the sealant will still be there for protection.

Accumulator
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
The wax can give you a different look, but once it wears off the sealant will still be there for protection.

Kinda, sorta, sometimes :think:

*IME* (and there are a whole lotta variable here), it`s not like once the wax is gone everthing`s still fine; you gotta at least do a little cleaning and then redo the wax or it just doen`t look/feel right. Most sealants I`ve used don`t really provide enough additional protection to worry about if you`re cleaning and reLSPing anyhow.

I did #16 over top of a few layers of KSG. Noting that #16 "dies clean", meaning it doesn`t leave behind a lot of "dead wax artifacts" the way some waxes do, after it was "dead" the KSG wasn`t all *that* pristine. I got away with claying with Sonus green, but had I used a different sealant, or fewer layers of KSG, things wouldn`t have turned out so well. As it was, I felt OK doing another topper coat of #16, but overall the whole thing convinced me that the minor boost in looks wasn`t worth it.

But then I`m the guy who uses a SRP/Souveran combo on his Jag (and who advocates SRP, or other AIOs, topped with stuff...) and that`s not really all *that* different from topping a sealant with a wax, huh? :nixweiss