PDA

View Full Version : New Car Prep

cwelty
06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I got a new Honda Pilot a month ago. I did not know of this site when I purchased so I never thought of asking them not to wash the vehicle. I am very new to detailing but I have been reading and searching autopia for a month now. I have some questions about my first full detail. Here is my planned process:

1. Wash (meg`s Gold class)

2. Clay (meg`s clay kit)

3. Klasse AIO

4. Klasse SG (1 layer)

5. Additional layers on following days

My questions are:

1. Do I need to do a decontamination wash?

2. Should I wash with dawn to remove whatever the dealer applied for my free wash?

3. Do I need to do an IPA wipe after claying?

4. This is a daily driver and no garage available for use, so on Sat when I do this I will be driving the vehicle before the next layers of SG are applied. Do I need to do anything special if waiting a day for the next layer if the car is parked outside and driven? Should I just wash and dry before applying next layer?

454Casull
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Don`t forget to 303 fabric guard the floor mats.

2005GTPinMD
06-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I would use IPA after claying to make sure the surface is clean. As for the other layers of SG, you have to make sure that the surface is clean so at least a quick detail and/or wash might be in order. Since you park outside, other sealants could be used too. Perhaps the opti-seal/OCW combo might be great.

cwelty
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I guess I`ll add my interior info. I have cloth seats. I have 303 aero protector I still need to apply to plastics and vinyl. I have also used scotchguard on the seats. I have 2 st. bernards and need to have their slobber not ruin the interior. In addition to the questions above above is there something better I could use for interior protection?

454Casull
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I guess I`ll add my interior info. I have cloth seats. I have 303 aero protector I still need to apply to plastics and vinyl. I have also used scotchguard on the seats. I have 2 st. bernards and need to have their slobber not ruin the interior. In addition to the questions above above is there something better I could use for interior protection?

I`m talking about this stuff:

303 Products, Inc.: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard (http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/66/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.cfm)

imported_Larry A
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
You dont need a ipa wipe down after claying. The klasse AIO will clean the paint very good. Wash , clay , AIO , SG , follow in a week with another coat of SG.