PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite pad cleaner for the removal of wax and sealants

454Casull
06-27-2010, 03:22 PM
You may or may not be able to get this cheaply, but I had some industrial ethanol laying around - 99.5%, I think? Anyway, the DG 105 I had on a black foam pad was soo tenacious in my APC wash solution; if you pinched the foam and squeezed outward, you could collect tons of residual sealant, still in liquid form. Then I got the idea, and tossed the pad into my bathroom sink and saturated the pad with ethanol and some more to boot, so that the "dirt" had somewhere to go instead of staying inside the pad. The ethanol instantly turned yellow and the pad turned to pure black again.

Sweet.

jono20
06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Hm. You`re not the same guy who was talking about cleaning pads with gasoline are you? :P Lol.

I use CG`s Grime Reaper for pad cleaning, takes 15 seconds with a rotary to spin dry, never had an issue.

454Casull
06-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Hm. You`re not the same guy who was talking about cleaning pads with gasoline are you? :P Lol.

I use CG`s Grime Reaper for pad cleaning, takes 15 seconds with a rotary to spin dry, never had an issue.

Yeah, I wouldn`t be surprised if I get harassed again. This stuff is way more dangerous than gasoline in most situations.

Mindflux
06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I`d be real surprised if those velcro backings don`t delaminate themselves from the pad with a `cleaning` regimen like this.

454Casull
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I`d be real surprised if those velcro backings don`t delaminate themselves from the pad with a `cleaning` regimen like this.

Sometimes you just gotta try something new. Of course, you`d never do something like that.

What you failed to question was the fact being that they were hand pads or hook-and-loop pads. Can you guess which it is? It`s the answer that makes you eat crow.

Mindflux
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Sometimes you just gotta try something new. Of course, you`d never do something like that.

What you failed to question was the fact being that they were hand pads or hook-and-loop pads. Can you guess which it is? It`s the answer that makes you eat crow.

Well if it`s a hand pad, more power to you. Though I can`t say I`ve ever seen a hand applicator that was black other than tire swipes. So I just assumed it was a finishing pad for a buffer.

I`m willing to try plenty of new things, using ethanol to clean my pads isn`t one of them. No need to get some abrasive.

454Casull
06-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Well if it`s a hand pad, more power to you. Though I can`t say I`ve ever seen a hand applicator that was black other than tire swipes. So I just assumed it was a finishing pad for a buffer.

I`m willing to try plenty of new things, using ethanol to clean my pads isn`t one of them. No need to get some abrasive.

Here`s where I got mine: eShine Canada: 4" Applicator Black Foam Sealant/Carnauba (http://www.eshine.ca/4_applicator_black_foam_sealantcarnauba-400.php)

What do you mean abrasive?

Mindflux
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
What do you mean abrasive?

Insinuating that I wouldn`t try new things, telling me about eating crow for a wrong assumption? Comes off abrasive to me.

Thanks for the link to the pads.

454Casull
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Insinuating that I wouldn`t try new things, telling me about eating crow for a wrong assumption? Comes off abrasive to me.

Thanks for the link to the pads.

My attitude was a reflection of yours. You put "cleaning" in quotation marks, which implies that you believe the contrary, even though I reported excellent results.

Anyway, let`s let it rest. I won`t hold a grudge, promise.