PDA

View Full Version : Detailing the car... found some marks/bump/etch(?) on hood... help!

rynoguru
06-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Howdy,

I was giving the car (2 month old S4) a bath and quick detail this morning, and I came across a couple small "marks" on the hood (and one on the roof). I have not clue what it is... they seem to be clear... Clay, scratch-x, (cringe) finger nails, nothing seems to touch them... haven`t pulled out the PC yet.... honestly not sure if they are bumps or etchs and I can hardly feel them with a finger nail... I don`t remember seeing anything like this last time I washed/detailed and I have paid close attention to this area since I have been removing some small swirls in this area... help!

Sorry for the poor pic quality... with flash on you can`t see it, and without flash it is a bit blurry. Also very hard to catch in the viewfinder so I had to use my finger as a reference.

http://forums.audiworld.com/picture.php?albumid=162116&pictureid=225210

Thanks,

- Ryan

Accumulator
06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
rynoguru- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d use some kind of magnifier so you can get a better look-see. Try to figure out whether the issue is above or below the level of the rest of the paint.

Right off-hand (and without any additional info), I`d probably lean towards *not* trying to correct it (whatever it is...) if the car were mine and in otherwise nice shape.

rynoguru
07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
OK, small update...

Best I can tell, this seems to be something causing an etch... it is hard to tell on most of the spots, but on a couple it looks down, not up.

When I got home tonite, I saw a little spot of something yellow on the trunk... I ran my finger over it an it slid right off... and then I looked closer at the spot... aaahhh!!! a new "etch"... I have no idea what the little yellow thing was... my first reaction was something like pollen... came off super easy but left the spot... the trunk was sealed and waxed just over a week ago, so I have no idea what I can do to prevent this.

Help!

Accumulator
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
OK, small update...

Best I can tell, this seems to be something causing an etch... it is hard to tell on most of the spots, but on a couple it looks down, not up...

That sounds likely.

When I got home tonite, I saw a little spot of something yellow on the trunk... I ran my finger over it an it slid right off... and then I looked closer at the spot... aaahhh!!! a new "etch"... I have no idea what the little yellow thing was... my first reaction was something like pollen... came off super easy but left the spot... the trunk was sealed and waxed just over a week ago, so I have no idea what I can do to prevent this.

Help!

Apparently (and unfortunately) you must be parking/driving in an area where there`s some really nasty stuff getting on the paint. Not sure what to suggest, other than the obvious (and I`m guessing you have to park where you do). Maybe a different LSP regimen; some sealants/waxes are surprisingly vulnerable to stuff like this and others (layered KSG, Collinite wax) are surprisingly resistant.

kkreit01
07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Sap? Maybe?

rynoguru
07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Nah, very unlikely to be sap... car is parked in the middle of a parking lot.. nearest trees are probably 75 feet away... maybe more...

Whatever it is, definitely happening at work... I checked when I got back from lunch today and nothing was on the car... when I got in the car to leave I had maybe 6 of these little yellow spots... I`ve seen threads on bee poop and what not, so I figure it has to be something like that... what to do to avoid it though, not a clue...

I think I might try a parking lot on the other side of the building, but I don`t expect much to come of it.

donut.
07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I have the same problem. I too have determined that it`s from those yellow spots. I google`d those yellow spots to see what they are and it`s commonly known as bug poop.

When I removed mine, they had an etch in my clear as well. I can`t believe how fast they can cause an etch like that. Hopefully you get an answer on how to correct/prevent this, because I`m looking for an answer as well.

I`m surprised more people aren`t posting replies. Does no one on this forum get those yellow spots on their car?

rynoguru
07-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, at least I`m not alone... someone out there must know the best products to help with this!

Currently I`m using Menzerna Power Lock Sealant and Einszett Glanz Wax... guess I might be ordering some Klasse and Collonite as Accumulator suggested. I also had the partial VentureShield on the hood removed and the complete hood done, so now I just fret over the top and trunk.

donut.
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Dare I bump? :nixweiss

BluBrett
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I get bee poop all over my Acura (soft paint), and I`ve never had a visible etch. No joke, there was almost as much bee poop on my trunk as there was paint before I washed it today. I`d say it`s something else. Audi paint is hard, right?

LionelHutz
07-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Ryan, I`m interested to hear how this pans out. I`m having very similar issues with the paint on my new S4. What part of the country are you in?

imported_Gears
07-25-2010, 07:24 PM
OK, so I see I`m not the only person having this problem. I didn`t know if was coming from a bug or a bird but bee poop sounds like it could be it.

The strangest thing is how it reacts on the paint. If I remove them early, even scraped off with a fingernail there is no remaining stain. But this

is where it gets weird, if left on longer it will etch the paint but if its left on , I don`t know how long, it will raise the clear to form a bump about

1/16 wide and 3/8 long.

Accumulator
07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Sounds like another example of why it`s good to get contamination off the vehicle ASAP.

Wonder how heavily layered KSG would hold up to it :think: On the MPV, I`ve gotten to where I don`t even bother QDing off bird bombs because they simply never cause problems, but if I did that with any of the other LSPs I use I`d have etching for sure.