PDA

View Full Version : Matt Black finishes?

Pages : [1] 2

Final Touch
06-26-2010, 03:58 AM
I have a couple of regular customers with BMW cabrio`s one a 645 and the other a 650, they`re both black. They clean up nicely (the 650 has almost white leather and it`s a mongrel to keep clean) but I`m at a bit of a loss as to the best product - if any; to use on the matt black area behind the back seats that covers the folded soft-top.

I`m reluctant to use a vinyl dressing in case it streaks after it gets wet, and very reluctant to use any polish or waxes in case they go white over time and/or get caught in the finish and become difficult to clean later.

To date I just clean this area as best as I`m able and leave it that way but I really think I should be able to improve the look more than I do.

I`m thinking possibly beeswax or possibly a really thin coat of linseed oil but was hoping the experts might be able to advise....?

Accumulator
06-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Final Touch- Noting that I`m utterly clueless about the finish in question :o ....

I`ve used various "no white residue" LSPs on all sorts of matte/satin black finishes with zero problems. I dunno about trying it on a true "FLAT" black though...

KSG seems like the best choice, the one least likely to cause issues, but use W-O-W-O just to be sure (that should take care of any residual-product concerns). I`ve also done OK with 845 and Pinnacle Souveran, and even FK1000P, though that one can be a little tricky.

Final Touch
06-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks Accumulator, I`ll look into those options and see what I can come up with. Might have to go online shopping as most of those aren`t readily available locally.

I don`t have a decent photo but tracked this one down;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2173/1559206562_ba05f5e82b.jpg

It looks ok if I just leave it clean because the cars are both so new and the finish hasn`t really faded at all yet except that there is a shadow that shows where the soft top sits on top. The owners never mention it but it bugs me when I give the cars back with the top down.

fergnation
06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Soft touch, is this area you speak off a material like leather or vinyl or is it a painted surface. If it is a leather or vinyl I would just use a interior cleaner. Nothing with a shiny gloss but would strongly suggest something with UV protector in it. IF it is what I think it is then it doesn`t get wet. They would have to drive around in the rain with the top down. I believe it is considered part of the interrior.

But if it is painted than you can use sealant that doesn`t dry white.

Final Touch
06-26-2010, 11:51 PM
It`s mostly covered by the soft-top but not completely hence my reluctance to just `dress` it. It`s not really interior

Lati
06-30-2011, 05:08 PM
There was no problem painted to flat black my 911. The vinyl would have seemed the edge when the door is open.

I can show any photos, but I can not able to upload pictures. Any help?

Ron Ketcham
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Lot new products out there for this, Mequiar`s has one, Turtle Wax Ice, ValuGard`s Fast Finish, as thery are made of new technology components that work great for such surfaces, as well as paint. There are other company`s that have moved to this technology, just out of touch with who, but they are there.

Just mist it on, wipe it in, then wipe with a clean, dry cloth. You really need to do this to "set" the polymers in the products.

They don`t run off in the rain, they don`t evaporate in a day or two, and will not damage the surface.

I use my old company`s Fast Finish on my interior vinyl, leather seats, paint, trim, etc and have for 5 years, no problem.

Grumpy

David Fermani
06-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a client that was seriously thinking about buying a new Audi R8 GT in Suzuka Gray (Matte finish). He initially became apprehensive once the dealer requested that he sign off on this special finish upon ordering. He then asked my advice and I told him all about the high maintenance these finishes can require. Basically that only certain products are to be used to avoid altering the look of the finish and reinforcing that swirls & marring are there for good. Well, at any rate he ended up choosing another color and isn`t dissapointed one bit. He actually e-mailed me last week as he was attending Infineon Raceway where Audi had multiple track cars with one "show" vehicle being in this matte finish. He stated that Audi liked to cover the car with a nylon sheet and it caused horrible big and deeply noticeable scratches throughout. Interesting enough Audi has delayed the delivery of Suzuka Grey vehicles another 4 months since the paint pigments come from Japan and the earthquake/tsunami messed up the supply chain.

Accumulator
07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Lot new products out there for this, Mequiar`s has one, Turtle Wax Ice, ValuGard`s Fast Finish, as thery are made of new technology components that work great for such surfaces, as well as paint. ...I use my old company`s Fast Finish on my interior vinyl, leather seats, paint, trim, etc and have for 5 years, no problem.

Grumpy

So Fast Finish is one of those multi-surface sealants huh? I somehow missed that one.. don`t see much at the ValuGard site about it either, other than in the "Showroom Vehicles" section :think:

Ron Ketcham
07-01-2011, 01:57 PM
So Fast Finish is one of those multi-surface sealants huh? I somehow missed that one.. don`t see much at the ValuGard site about it either, other than in the "Showroom Vehicles" section :think:

Yup!

The product has been in the line for 4 or 5 years, replaced Wonder Wash.

They just don`t go after the same market as others, so not much said about in a way that would be appealing to consumers.

I use on my m/c, Sebring, Ranchero, shoes, table tops, etc.

Bill D
07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
That Fast Finish is the only spray on product I`ve ever encountered that actually helped with speeding up drying the car in conjunction with WW MFs. Spray it on, dry with the WW MFs. It`s a great technique if you don`t have a blower/Air Wand before following with the WW MF.

Accumulator
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Bill D & Ron Ketcham- OK guys, school me on the Fast Finish.

I gather it`s OK to use on a slightly damp surface, right? What about underlying products...like, should it be on a "clean"/IPA`ed/etc. surface when used as a trim sealant? What doesn`t it play nice with?

How does it "speed up the drying"? And is it a PIA to get out of the WWs?

How forgiving is it if slopped onto paint (wipe right off, or cause issues)?

Does it leave a slick surface? Like, how would it compare to FK425 and/or FK146?

How long does it last?

Ron Ketcham
07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I replied, it didn`t get posted, maybe later, i"ll try again.

Just this, it does as said, it is easy to use, washes out of the towels and last 45 to 60 days, depending on the variables we all know.

The surface will be like any other, "how is the surface when you started", as it is not a "filler" product.

Grumpy

Accumulator
07-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Ron Ketcham- Ah, OK, thanks. Might oughta pick some up next time I`m ordering from `em.

Bill D
07-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I haven`t used the Fast Finish in a while but when I sprayed it on the freshly washed paint and then dried with the WW, it assisted in the WW`s ability to soak up the water. Far better than just a regular QD. It`s slicker than FK 425 but since it is a spray on sealant, I never used it with the regularity I do with that QD. When I QD I just want spots, light dirt removed and a shine, not a film of sealant unless I`m looking to use an enhancer/booster product. FF is great for "express" washing and waxing.