PDA

View Full Version : Paint Hazing with claybar Please Help

DNkG
06-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi today i claybared a black outlander and the paint hazed like crazy. I think its refered to as marring. Anyways Ive been doing this for years, ive worked in a bodyshop for 4 years and this is the first time its ever happened to me. The car had lots of contaminents so i used s100 to prewash the car, pressure washed it off then soaped it down gently in the areas i claybared it. Im really dissapointed with what i have done to the finish of this car:( Afterwards i waxed it with meguires techwax and I looks better then new. But have i just hidden the hazed parts and will they return again once the wax wears off? If it does return is there a permenent way of removing it?

Thanks

Legacy
06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi today i claybared a black outlander and the paint hazed like crazy. I think its refered to as marring. Anyways Ive been doing this for years, ive worked in a bodyshop for 4 years and this is the first time its ever happened to me. The car had lots of contaminents so i used s100 to prewash the car, pressure washed it off then soaped it down gently in the areas i claybared it. Im really dissapointed with what i have done to the finish of this car:( Afterwards i waxed it with meguires techwax and I looks better then new. But have i just hidden the hazed parts and will they return again once the wax wears off? If it does return is there a permenent way of removing it?

ThanksYes, you can polish it.

DNkG
06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
so the wax is just hiding it?

longdx
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM
so the wax is just hiding it?

Correct. It seems that in the process of claying, there was marring. Chances are, this could be fixed with a mild polish and finished with a LSP.

Accumulator
06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
DNkG- If I had to guess you didn`t use enough lube and you needed to knead/replace the clay more often. But I do note that you`ve done this plenty of times with no problems...

Even with great technique, some clays are just too aggressively abrasive for some paints. And when you have significant contamination that just complicates things even more (the contamination itself can be abrasive and/or you might press harder than you think you`re doing).

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

DNkG
06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Oh yea it was definitly something I did wrong, possibly a combination of things. at the shop we use a very very strong liquid clay/degreaser so I never have to worry about using a claybar too often. Also Im more used to doing paint blends and things of that nature, and not really experienced in new car preparations. Ive never liked using claybars and now I hate using them! I used the claybar outside because it was warm but cloudy so i wanted to be outside washing the car, could that have softened up the clear making it easier to damage?

Anyways thanks for all the replies and as of right now the cars paint looks great with the meguires wax !!! (I know its not the best product around lol) I just hope it doesnt look like crap when the wax wears off :(

jlb85
06-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Not necessarily did you do anything wrong. Clay will marr paint. Fact. Each car has a different paint hardness. Softer paints and darker colors = you will cause and notice marring easier. Some professional detailers will not clay a vehicle unless they are going to polish it out.

That said, a main cause for scratches (if fine they look like marring) while claying is improper washing to begin with, so the clay bar becomes contaminated sooner.

The clear (and basecoat system) is made to conform to a wide range of temperatures. The 20 degree difference between inside and outside will not affect the paint enough for you to really notice, for paint that is cured. For bodyshop-freshness I would not know. The paint is softer while fresh, so if anything I would say this was a contributing factor.

Failure to clay prior to polishing increases the risk of getting the contaminants deeper (and more permanently) into the paint, among other things. But marring caused by clay is very light in any case and can be removed with the lightest of polishes and a very quick pass.