PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Green-users chime in.

Striker
06-24-2010, 08:17 AM
OK, I`ve already PM`d a reputable member about the concerns for my paint not being the smoothest and we both agreed that I should try some Sonus Green. Long story short, I went to apply some Souveran with the provided foam pad and it didn`t go on butter smooth vs. the small spot I *just* finished polishing.

Anyways, what I`d like to know is if I go over the paint with the Sonus Green, based on your guys` hands on experience with this product, will I need to re-polish the car again? The goal is to remove the smaller contaminants in the paint to provide a smooth finish.

I did read on the site that it does NOT strip LSP`s but, If I have to re-apply my LSP`s that`s perfectly fine.

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
That`s a question with a lot of variables. What color is the car, how hard is the paint, how OCD are you over micro-marring, how careful will you be during claying, what is the contaminant on the paint, etc. It`s certainly possible to use this clay and not have to repolish, but with the aforementioned variables, it`s also possible that you may have to. Generally speaking, you should be able to use the green clay without having to polish, however if this is your first time claying, there may be some learning curve.

Striker
06-24-2010, 08:59 AM
That`s a question with a lot of variables. What color is the car, how hard is the paint, how OCD are you over micro-marring, how careful will you be during claying, what is the contaminant on the paint, etc. It`s certainly possible to use this clay and not have to repolish, but with the aforementioned variables, it`s also possible that you may have to. Generally speaking, you should be able to use the green clay without having to polish, however if this is your first time claying, there may be some learning curve.

The vehicle is black, the clear is GM (which I hear is hard clear?) how ocd am I? Well, I am on here talking to you fine people :D As far as how careful I am with my car, I would rate myself on a scale of 9.5/10 on everything I do to it. This will not be my first time claying, now having said that, I am open to experienced advice on using the Sonus Green without having to polish the car again.

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Just the normal clay advice of plenty of lube, minimal pressure, clean/fold/discard the clay often.

Striker
06-24-2010, 09:45 AM
If I`m only using the clay on my car for touch ups, etc how long should it last me, give or take before being thrown out?

I use an older clay bar for my windshield that I wouldn`t normally clean the paint with.

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Impossible to answer, it all depends on the level of contamination and your level of comfort using contaminated clay. Also depends if you are pulling off chunks of tar or particles of brake dust vs. some sort of softer (organic) residue, or if you drop it on the ground.

Striker
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Definitely no tar or heavy contaminants. The most I can see is the brake dust getting picked up at the bottom of the doors....

Striker
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
One more thing I wanted to ask. I`m using a waterless wash right now, do I need to do a full out bucket wash before and after claying or could I clay the entire car in the garage. Waterless wash wipe down+clay lube+clay+Waterless wash again?

Setec Astronomy
06-25-2010, 08:38 AM
One more thing I wanted to ask. I`m using a waterless wash right now, do I need to do a full out bucket wash before and after claying or could I clay the entire car in the garage. Waterless wash wipe down+clay lube+clay+Waterless wash again?

That`s fine. As long as the car is clean. If you really wanted to be adventurous you could just use the--wait, you mean rinseless or waterless? I guess it doesn`t matter, all that matters is that the car is clean, meaning free of UNbonded contaminants, before you clay. You can use your wash fluid as clay lube like some of us do, if the mood strikes you, but in your scenario it`s probably best to just use whatever clay lube you had planned on.

Striker
06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I went with PB`s Spray and Wipe product so I was gonna simply remove the light dust that`s on it now and proceed with the claying. I wasn`t sure if this is ok.