PDA

View Full Version : ONR or Foam gun?

1sty
06-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Half of the people in the detailing community seem to suggest a foam gun to avoid swirls and scratches.

The other half seem to boast about ONRs ability.

So I am confused.

Can ONR clean without creating swirls?

Should a foam gun only be used when the car hasn`t been washed in a month or is it just overkill?

I have no restrictions from using a hose and even have a decent power washer so a good foam gun is all I am missing....but is it really necessary?

AeroCleanse
06-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I prefer to use ONR and I don`t get swirls. My advice is use what you like, as long as it does the job for you.

Chris@Optimum
06-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Both have their place. I use both.

Dubbin1
06-20-2010, 11:08 PM
2 totally different products for 2 different uses. The ONR isn`t something you want to use on a very dirty car while the foam gun would good for this while doing a traditional wash. ONR is for a vehicle that is only slightly dirty.

Blinky
06-21-2010, 02:43 AM
ONR solution applied via a Nomad portable sprayer is another way to loosen up crud on the paint. It`s sorta the same idea as using a foam gun, i.e. spraying a section of the car (or the whole car, I suppose) to allow the billions of cleaning polymer molecules to bind and "lift" dirt off the paint.

Accumulator
06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
1sty- Welcome to Autopia!

I`m guessing you know which side of this particular fence *I* am on ;)

But note that I`ve set a pal up with an ONR-based wash system and he`s happy with it. And even I do use ONR for some things.

Try both and see which one works best for you. As long as you don`t need to polish more than once a year (and only very lightly even then), all is well. If the whole vehicle needs M105 every year, then something is very wrong. When your daily driver can go a few years without polishing, then you`ve really got a handle on it :D

A foamgun isn`t all *that* expensive and if you don`t like it you can probably find a buyer for it. Note that whichever system you try, it might take a while to get your technique sorted out; I must`ve used the foamgun over a dozen times before I quit thinking "this worthless thing is just a toy".

ESSO
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I think that depends on the deposits of the car that much. I think ONR better

bjungx007
06-22-2010, 01:15 AM
what about onr in a foam gun along with some soap? :)

Accumulator
06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
what about onr in a foam gun along with some soap? :)

Nah, incompatible concepts; the foamgun best lends itself to a "dislodge and flush" approach, whereas ONS is a "transfer the encapsulated dirt to the wash medium" approach.

When you finish a (correctly done as *I* see it) wash with a foamgun, the rinse bucket water is still pretty clean even if the vehicle in question was utterly filthy and the wash media are spotless.

When you finish a (correctly done as *I* see it) wash with ONR, the rinse bucket water and the wash media are both quite dirty.