PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Toronto!

BTN Auto
06-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Wuts up Autopia! I`ve been cruising around the forum for a couple of weeks now and decided to join the party. This forum in particular has inspired me to become serious about learning and perfecting this fine art you all possess.

Looking to buy an orbital to start, Porter Cable or any other suggestions welcome. Also any places in Toronto to get these units, I know Canadian Tire has them but I`d rather support a small business then the big box stores.

Thanks fellas, looking forward to my first semester at Autopia Univeristy...

jono20
06-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Welcome! Nice to see another Canadian on the board! Since you ARE from Canada I`d point you toward eShine.ca or AutoObsessed.com. AutoObsessed is a Chemical Guys dealer up here, so I do a lot of business with them. Chemical Guys make fantastic cleaning products, washes, and air fresheners. I prefer Meg`s for polishes and compounds though.

It will always be cheaper to buy your stuff online vs in a store. You can find a Porter Cable 7424 at Canadian Tire for $250, or buy it from Auto Obsessed for $169, and shipping is free. I`ve never had an item NOT ship same business day from A.O., and it only takes a couple days in the truck to get to where it`s going in Canada. Great service from those guys, always.

paco
06-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey,

Unfortunately, we`re pretty much stuck buying almost everything online as there are very very few options for any bricks and mortar options in the GTA. I typically get some of my stuff from eShine.ca but buy a lot from the states. Sure shipping sucks from the south but we simply can not get everything up here locally or even from Canadian online sites.

As for the porter cable da, make sure you pick up the new version 7424XP. It`s a strong more robust machine. Autogeek has it on sale right now for $124.99 so it`s a good deal. Don`t get the CT version, it`s the older outdated model and grossly overpriced. Granted, mine is still kicking so not a big deal if you want to get it.

For a rotary, I`d get a used Makita 9227 from Ebay or Craigslist etc. unless you plan on doing serious amout of polishing for friends or a business then get it new. Often times, they have taken a lot of abuse (polishing natural stone counters etc.) but for a hobbyist.. that should be fine. You can also try the Makita repair center in Mississauga (i`d call) and see if they have any refurb`s.

Make sure you pick up plenty of pads, different sizes and their respective backing plates.

You will also want to pick up a crap load of QUALITY microfibers in bulk. Some for general use (door sills etc.), some for glass - should be dedicated, some interior and some for paint only.

You may also want to try out Optimum No Rinse car wash. Different approach to washing a vehicle can be quicker once you get comfortable with the process and saves a tonne of water. And if you don`t have a driveway/garage... good way to wash your car at your residence.

BTN Auto
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks Fellas,

Hoping to get the PC from eshine, just waiting for stock info from them. My buddy has the Mikita rotary and I will practice with it when I get the right form down. As for the towels, I want to try a bunch to see which one I like for each job.