PDA

View Full Version : exterior window rubber

johnboy
06-18-2010, 02:32 PM
looking for input on exterior trim rubber and vinale that does not run after rain is there a real waterproof item out there

jono20
06-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Clean with rags and iso alcohol, then treat with Poorboy`s trim restore or 303.

johnboy
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
is poorboys water proof-been raining every other day

GatorJ
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. Not overly impressed with it on tires, but on exterior trim, including vinyl, it is the best product I`ve found. Excellent durability and it does not run or streak.

The Wraith
06-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Clean with rags and iso alcohol

Iso alcohol is notorious for drying out surfaces. This may age & crack rubber prematurely. Definitely would not recommend this...at all...ever.

sparklescarwash
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
malco bumper brite will bead water last a wile

Flawbolt
06-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Megs #57 works very well...it is made for the marine/rv sector...you can often find it in Bass Pro Shops by the boats.

jono20
06-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Iso alcohol is notorious for drying out surfaces. This may age & crack rubber prematurely. Definitely would not recommend this...at all...ever.

So is the sun. Iso is a great cleaner, and leaves the surface dry and bare. You then RE-hydrate the seal with your dressing and UV protectant. A single application of iso will not leave your seals dry and cracked, just bare and clean. Though I would agree it`s important to get some moisture back in it afterward, like I said.

I`m an aircraft maintenance engineer, and this is the exact treatment recommended by BF Goodrich for cleaning and protecting the rubber deice boots on the leading edges of aircraft wings and stabilizers.

The Wraith
06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I can only speak from experience. Any automotive surface I`ve touched with iso alcohol has not fared so well. Household products and their ph balance may be suitable for boats and aircrafts, but definitely not for autos. Please keep in mind, the auto industry would love its clientelle to get a new product ever 2 or 3 years. Boats and Planes on the other hand are not as disposable. They can take the abuse of caustic chemicals, but cars...that`s another story.

Legacy
06-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. Not overly impressed with it on tires, but on exterior trim, including vinyl, it is the best product I`ve found. Excellent durability and it does not run or streak.

I agree...tired a few times on my tires but went back to Optimum Tire Gel.