PDA

View Full Version : Will KAIO after Jeweling via 85RD be a step back in correction?

Pages : [1] 2

mystickid
06-18-2010, 07:03 AM
As mentioned in one of my earlier threads "The AIO Look"(Which surprisingly got lost during the Forum renovations), I really prize the look KAIO gives.

I want to still use it after polishing. I`m doing.....

M205 White LC Pad-->(Jeweling via) 85RD Black LC pad--> and then KAIO VIA White Pad.

But wouldn`t the AIO possibly reinduce micromarring and take away from my 85rd jeweling since KAIO is more abrasive than 85RD? How can I get this to work out because I love KAIO as a base?:confused:

mystickid
06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
^^Bump ^^

Any thoughts...

wannafbody
06-19-2010, 08:12 AM
What makes you think that KAIO is more abrasive than 85RD? KAIO is pretty mild from what I`ve read.

Setec Astronomy
06-19-2010, 08:28 AM
I would be more concerned about stepping backwards from a black pad to a white pad than the KAIO being more abrasive (which it isn`t). How about a hand application of KAIO after your jeweling?

Leadfootluke
06-19-2010, 09:33 AM
I would be more concerned about stepping backwards from a black pad to a white pad than the KAIO being more abrasive (which it isn`t). How about a hand application of KAIO after your jeweling?

That`s what I thought. KAIO has no abrasives in it, but is a chemical cleaner, so it does not need a pad with any cut. I would apply it by hand before waxing/sealing.

JohnKleven
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I think if you`re going to go through the effort and jewel the paint, you may as well put a higher quality wax on it.

mystickid
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, going backwards from Black pad to a white does seem to be the issue of concern here I guess.

So can I go Black pad 85rd to jewel and then another clean, no cut black pad for KAIO to get the job done?

Accumulator
06-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Yes, going backwards from Black pad to a white does seem to be the issue of concern here I guess.

So can I go Black pad 85rd to jewel and then another clean, no cut black pad for KAIO to get the job done?

IMO the pad would only matter if it weren`t functionally nonabrasive, at least if we`re assuming the KAIO is functionally nonabrasive.

I read *somewhere* that KAIO`s abrasives are in the "10 micron range". Now I don`t know what that really means functionally-speaking, or how it compares to PO85RD.

Note that some people contend that ZAIO gives just as good a finish as PO85RD (no, I`m not saying that, just *repeating* it ;) ) and ZAIO is a lot more abrasive than the Klasse stuff.

But if you like the look KAIO gives, then I`d go ahead and use it. You might want to do one section and see how it compares to the merely-burnished look, just to make sure you`ll be happy.

mystickid
06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
@Accumulator,

Ya, I guess since it is an abrasive product I`ll try a side by side burnished vs. burnished>AIO-ed panel and see what`s to my eyes` liking. I should also look through more pro-before after details to see if anyone has used KAIO after burnishing...

Nonetheless Thanks guys

Striker
06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Which pad (On a rotary) along with 85RD do you guys recommend for yeweling? I`d like to follow this up after menzerna FP.

lostdaytomorrow
07-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Interested in the answer to this.

What are other products people are using to jewel the paint up as the last polish step that has very little to no cut?

And do most use a white pad for the 85rd on a PC?

uzj100
07-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Which pad (On a rotary) along with 85RD do you guys recommend for yeweling? I`d like to follow this up after menzerna FP.

FWIW, I use a blue 3M UK pad with 85RD for jeweling. Have, but haven`t yet tried the new crimson LC pad.

HTH

Accumulator
07-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Interested in the answer to this.

What are other products people are using to jewel the paint up as the last polish step that has very little to no cut?

And do most use a white pad for the 85rd on a PC?

Noting that I`m not polishing, let alone burnishing, much these days....

On hard clear I`ve been very happy with 1Z High Gloss via Cyclo, with the white Cyclo "finishing" (scare-quotes intentional as they seem a bit more aggressive than that to me) pad and also with blue Sonus finishing pads.

Last time I did such stuff I used the BF polish for hard clear (it`s one of the Menzerna 106 products, forget which one) via Flex with a Griot`s orange pad. I normally wouldn`t have thought of that combo as a jeweling/burnishing one, but it did spruce things up just a bit even though M205 had already left a very nice finish.

I`ve also done it with 1Z WaxPolishSoft, but that stuff leaves *SO* much wax/[whatever it is] behind that it`s hard to tell if it`s burnishing or glazing/waxing. And no, I wasn`t gonna IPA it to try to figure that out ;)

Along similar lines, I`ve usually burnished the S8 with 1Z Pro MP, also using the Cyclo with white pads. And no, I don`t IPA after that either.

If I were gonna do this via PC, I`d probably use something milder than a white LC pad.

Guess some of this comes down to what one considers "jeweling"/"burnishing" to really be; to me, it`s polishing done after any visible flaws have already been dealt with to the appropriate degree. Note that this brings up the subject of burnishing a panel that still has residual marring....

lostdaytomorrow
11-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Was reading this old thread, searching for info on applying KAIO and saw Setec`s name, anyone know if he`s doing all right and just doesn`t favor Autopia anymore?

Bill D
11-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I believe Setec participates on the Autogeek forums.