PDA

View Full Version : removing orange peel

cheeto chop
06-18-2010, 12:56 AM
a few questions...

1. is wet sanding the only way to remove orange peel?

2. when wet sanding, is it necessary to compound AND polish? couldnt you go from wet sanding straight to a light polish like Menzerna 85rd since the sanding theoretically removed the orange peel along with anything else like swirls and scratches?

3. do you still need to clay bar when wet sanding?

Accumulator
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
a few questions...

1. is wet sanding the only way to remove orange peel?

Yes. There may be some *very* rare instances where it can be compounded away, but I`ve never had that happen except on old-school single stage lacquer.

2. when wet sanding, is it necessary to compound AND polish?

Yes. And getting the sanding scratches out can be a much greater challenge than people expect.

couldnt you go from wet sanding straight to a light polish like Menzerna 85rd since the sanding theoretically removed the orange peel along with anything else like swirls and scratches?

Not in my experience, at least not unless you do the final sanding with something *VERY* gentle like 4K or milder. 2K scratches are a little bit of a challenge with M105 and 3K ones were a bit much for milder products IME (but I was working on hard clear too).

3. do you still need to clay bar when wet sanding?

Yes. Do the claying first to remove any contamination lest you get extra-deep "tracers" (caused by contamination getting trapped between the sanding medium and the paint) that`ll be a nightmare to correct.

cheeto chop
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
thank you oh knowledgeable one!

do you think the 7424XP would be adequate for the compounding and polishing?

Accumulator
06-20-2010, 01:02 PM
do you think the 7424XP would be adequate for the compounding and polishing?

I`ve fixed 2K sanding scratches with a (old model) PC and 4" pads, so it can be done. Wouldn`t be my idea of fun though, and IMO it`d be easy to find yourself in over your head. Don`t underestimate this one...

Dubbin1
06-20-2010, 04:17 PM
These sure are some funny ways to remove an orange peel, I always just use my fingernails :)