PDA

View Full Version : Quick headlight restoration question

ZJCory
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I tried searching and read through all the write ups I could find about wet sanding headlights but I have one last question that remains unanswered. I wet sanded the lights on my buddie`s Grand Cherokee a couple years ago but I can`t remember, when switching from one grit sand paper to the next do you alternate the direction of your strokes? For instance if I`m using 800 grit and sanding from side to side, when going to 1200 or whatever should I go up and down? Or does it not matter at all and I`m just crazy?:clap:

454Casull
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
It will probably take a bit less time if you sand orthogonally to the last grit`s strokes, and you can tell when you should move up to the next grit because the perpendicular marks will be gone.

imported_Jakerooni
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Alternating your stroke pattern is a great way to tell you your progress in the process. Once you see all the opposing stroke marks gone you know you`ve accomplished the goal of that grit and can move onto the next stage.

mx5
06-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Yep. Even on the Rain X Headlight Restoration Kit, they direct you to go vertical and horizontal, then switch to diagonally.

BreakingNecks
07-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Switching up your your stroke pattern should help.

blackrex
07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Switching up your your stroke pattern should help.

Spam reported, please go away.