PDA

View Full Version : Road Tar Removal - a little different method

uxu
06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I finally had a spare moment to remove some `baked on` and splattered road tar from the lowest 2 inches of my silver vehicle tonight and thought I would share with you the method that finally worked.

I tried the usual methods as posted all over the forums and they were either not working or were very slow going. These methods included:

Stoner`s Tarminator

3M Adhesive Remover

WD-40

I tried the spay and soak with Tarminator and the 3M Adhesive Remover and not much was going on. The WD-40 didn`t do a thing either. I finally had a thought - I have them once in a while :)

I went into the house, grabbed an old coffee mug, filled it with water and microwaved it for about 2m 30s. Once I had the almost 200 degree water with me, I dipped a microfiber towel in it and wiped the tar off pretty quickly - I suppose you could say it melted off. I did wear a pair of gloves to keep from being burned.

I`m sure the chemicals did some of the work too, and tried this method on the other side where I had not pre-treated. I got the same result - very fast removal of the tar.

So - if all else fails, try a cup of hot water and see if it works for you as it did for me.