PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Chrome Rims

Jaws2008
06-17-2010, 08:25 AM
My Chrome Rims seem or should I say they do, have lots of swirls and some scratches in them. I usually just use a chrome polish on them and they look fantastic. But you can still see swirls in them. I wasnt sure if its safe to use a compound on them like M105/M205 then follow with a chrome polish. Than is it safe to use a paint sealant or wax on them...what is the best sealant or wax to use on Chrome wheels

Thanks

DM101
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
"""""Things You Need To Buy

•Chrome Polish/Protectant. I chose ‘Mothers’ brand.

•Super Fine #0000 Steel Wool (final finish).

•Terry cloths or microfiber towels.

It’s pretty simple. The Super Fine steel wool is fine enough that if properly lubricated will remove light scratches and buff that chrome to a high shine. by itself though, it will dull the shine of your exhaust or chrome rims. So what do you suppose the lubricant for this is? The Mothers Chrome Polish. Keep that steel wool and your chrome exhaust covered in this stuff. You basically can’t have to much. Same with car waxing and polishing, don’t do this in the sun and make sure your exhaust is at room temperature. Every minute or two you might realize that the polish is dripping off the exhaust or is getting thin, so keep that bottle of polish nearby."""""

Any quality sealant is good.

Accumulator
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Different experience from that of MDRX8 here. I`ve never been able to correct any marring on chrome, and I always assumed it was because the chromium was simply too hard. I have old, light scratches on the Jag`s chrome that`re visible at the edges of areas where the plating is worn away to the underlying base metal, the point being that the chrome wore away without the marring ever disappearing.

BUT OTOH, I do suspect that some of the newer abarasives on the market might work for this if you do it right. The way M205 worked on my pal`s relatively soft rechromed pieces was different from my previous chrome polishing experiences...didn`t take out scrathes but I was being very gentle.

DM101
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I have never had to polish my rims b/c of scrathes. I found that info doing a internet search.

Different experience from that of MDRX8 here. I`ve never been able to correct any marring on chrome, and I always assumed it was because the chromium was simply too hard. I have old, light scratches on the Jag`s chrome that`re visible at the edges of areas where the plating is worn away to the underlying base metal, the point being that the chrome wore away without the marring ever disappearing.

BUT OTOH, I do suspect that some of the newer abarasives on the market might work for this if you do it right. The way M205 worked on my pal`s relatively soft rechromed pieces was different from my previous chrome polishing experiences...didn`t take out scrathes but I was being very gentle.

Jaws2008
06-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Its not really the scratches that annoy me. its the swirl marks in them. there just like the same type of swirl marks that you would see on a car.

Accumulator
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I have never had to polish my rims b/c of scrathes. I found that info doing a internet search.

Oh sheesh, lucky you! I`ve had marred-chrome issues plagueing me since forever (though usually not on wheels). The Jag`s chrome was a horror-show on the showroom floor :rolleyes:

Its not really the scratches that annoy me. its the swirl marks in them. there just like the same type of swirl marks that you would see on a car.

At the risk of sounding insufferably pedantic, "swirl marks" are scratches are marring ;) The diff between "scratches" and "swirls" is pretty much just a matter of degree and/or maybe the shape/direction. Yeah, I know :o but being on the same page with regard to the semantics makes for clearer communication.

bill57
06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I`ve never had a marring, swirling, scratching problem with Simichrome Polish.

mikeross
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
I have been using SImichrome polish too..eversince. My dad was using it and I can really attest that the swirls and unwanted scratches are gone now.

Accumulator
06-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I have been using SImichrome polish too..eversince. My dad was using it and I can really attest that the swirls and unwanted scratches are gone now.

Huh! Glad it worked that way for you, wish it`d do the same for me too :think:

I`ve tried Simichrome, Wenol (both versions), MAAS (that`s the stuff *my* dad always used, he`d give tubes of it to people as gifts), English Polishes, and a whole scad of other chrome polishes as well...nothing ever took out marring for me :nixweiss

Lonnie
06-22-2010, 09:05 PM
As hard as chrome is, it will swirl IF you use the wrong polishing cloth and abrasive. I am still old-school , but a CLEAN flannel cotton cloth (Like an old winter-type bed sheet) and Simi-Chrome work pretty good for me. The mistake is made using a DIRTY, previously used cloth with black residue and polishing it back over washed chrome, OR, trying to polish/clean dirty chrome without first washing it. If the chrome has dirt or other contaminants on it, wash it and, if needed, GENTILY clay it first (Chrome wheel rims with excessive brake dust are a good example). Trying to "excessively rub" it clean without pre-cleaning heavy contaminants is a recipe for swirls.

Also, the chromed plastics on newers car are more prone to swirling because of its chemical layering composition and thinness. How can you tell if it`s plastic under the chrome? Try using a small, soft magnet from the back of a clip or ad card use to hold your kid`s artwork on STEEL refrigerator doors. If it sticks, it`s STEEL; If it doesn`t, it`s probably plastic.