PDA

View Full Version : Do you need to buff both sides if you`re buffing just one?

LibertyHopeful
06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Was off-roading in my new Jeep with only 6,500 miles on it yesterday and somewhere along the trail I guess a branch rubbed along the entire passenger side leaving a white scratch from end-to-end of the vehicle. It doesn`t catch if you run your finger nail across so it can be buffed out and the detailer I showed it to is confident he can get it out. What raised a flag for me though is that the detailer said since he has to buff the entire passenger side, he would need to do the entire driver side as well, otherwise the difference would be noticeable. (He said it would be a 6 hour job and would charge me $250 for both sides.)

Does that make any sense? Figured I`d ask the pros here to make sure he isn`t putting me on.

Thanks in advance!

Legacy
06-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Was off-roading in my new Jeep with only 6,500 miles on it yesterday and somewhere along the trail I guess a branch rubbed along the entire passenger side leaving a white scratch from end-to-end of the vehicle. It doesn`t catch if you run your finger nail across so it can be buffed out and the detailer I showed it to is confident he can get it out. What raised a flag for me though is that the detailer said since he has to buff the entire passenger side, he would need to do the entire driver side as well, otherwise the difference would be noticeable. (He said it would be a 6 hour job and would charge me $250 for both sides.)

Does that make any sense? Figured I`d ask the pros here to make sure he isn`t putting me on.

Thanks in advance!Why would he have to buff the driver`s side? You can`t see both sides at once. Being that the Jeep is new, the paint is probably in good condition, if so, it should take him an hour for one side, or 2 hrs tops, for both sides. Get another estimate or get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and diy.

LibertyHopeful
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Why would he have to buff the driver`s side? You can`t see both sides at once. Being that the Jeep is new, the paint is probably in good condition, if so, it should take him an hour for one side, or 2 hrs tops, for both sides. Get another estimate or get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and diy.

Don`t have a PC so couldn`t DIM. It`s a pretty nasty scratch and literally spans all the way across the side of the hood, the fender, both doors, quarter panel and the tip of the trunk lid. Looks like someone keyed it, but it`s jagged and not completely straight.

If just going over the scratch itself, I could see how it would only take an hour. But wouldn`t you need to do the entire surface of all of the panels it`s on so they look identical?

Legacy
06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Don`t have a PC so couldn`t DIM. It`s a pretty nasty scratch and literally spans all the way across the side of the hood, the fender, both doors, quarter panel and the tip of the trunk lid. Looks like someone keyed it, but it`s jagged and not completely straight.

If just going over the scratch itself, I could see how it would only take an hour. But wouldn`t you need to do the entire surface of all of the panels it`s on so they look identical?You can use meg`s UC by hand. Yes you would have to buff out the entire panel. You said it wasn`t deep, so a light compound should take it out. Ask him if this is a two step polish with wax/sealant. 6 hrs. still sounds like a long time.

Dubbin1
06-14-2010, 07:22 PM
6hrs doesn`t seem long at all to do the whole jeep.

Legacy
06-14-2010, 07:36 PM
6hrs doesn`t seem long at all to do the whole jeep.

It`s not the whole jeep.

LibertyHopeful
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
It`s not the whole jeep.

Both sides is almost the whole Jeep. Only panels out would be the trunk lid, rear bumper and front bumper. But you make a good point about why would both sides need to be done if you can`t see both sides at the same time! Might be good to get both sides done anyway considering a wax has never been properly applied to the paint in the 18 months that I`ve had it.

Dubbin1
06-15-2010, 12:03 AM
It`s not the whole jeep.

hood, the fender, both doors, quarter panel and the tip of the trunk lid

That would be the whole jeep if he does both sides ;)

alloutdetailing
06-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I think if he takes 6 hours and does it for $250 he is taking his time (which is good) and the price to be honest is really not that bad. You will have all your panels levered, a nice sealer, and a coat of wax. This is all if he knows what he is doing and is using good products. Remember to inspect his work in the sun! Or go buy a $5-$10 led light and use that so when the car gets pulled outside it does not have swirls out the azz! Goodluck.

LibertyHopeful
06-15-2010, 01:51 AM
I think if he takes 6 hours and does it for $250 he is taking his time (which is good) and the price to be honest is really not that bad. You will have all your panels levered, a nice sealer, and a coat of wax. This is all if he knows what he is doing and is using good products. Remember to inspect his work in the sun! Or go buy a $5-$10 led light and use that so when the car gets pulled outside it does not have swirls out the azz! Goodluck.

Thanks.

What is levered though? I`ll find out from the guy what the exact steps are that he`ll do, as well as the products he`ll use, and then I`ll report back here. If all sounds good, I`ll go ahead and hope for the best (scratches out, waxed up, and no swirls).