PDA

View Full Version : Applying 845 with PC?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_RedlineIRL
06-14-2010, 12:12 AM
I have been applying 845 by hand as long as I have used it, and want to try it with the PC if I could. The thing is, 845 seems so watery and liquidy I am not sure if applying it by machine will give the best application vs by hand.

Anyone here apply 845 with the PC? Have you found there to be any kind of difference in durability vs applying by hand? Also which kind of pads work best?

jono20
06-14-2010, 12:50 AM
With almost any LSP it is typically true that a thick application is just a waste of product, and will not result in a better or more durable finish. I apply all of my LSPs with a black 5.5" pad on a PCXP. Thinner LSPs just spread all the easier.

Thinner coat means less product used, and typically an easier wipe-off

Spike73
06-14-2010, 05:39 AM
I agree with jono. I have found that I like to apply LSP`s with my polisher because it`s faster, and I feel like I`m getting better coverage and a nice thin application every time. I have applied 845 with my Flex 3401, and I have not seen a difference in durability, but like I said I find it`s easier to use the polisher. Of course I still have to go back by hand with a foam applicator to get the tight spots where the Flex won`t reach.

Now you are right about how runny 845 is. So what I did was hold the bottle onto the pad, and then tip both the bottle and the pad over so i just got a little dime sized circle of product on the pad. I put like 3 of these dime-sized circles onto the pad and then applied it to the car, repleninshing as needed. I couldn`t find a better way to apply it to the pad without pouring it all over. And a little goes a long way, so I feel I used less product than by hand.

To apply it you`ll need to use a finishing pad. For the Flex, this means a blue or red CCS pad.

wfedwar
06-14-2010, 07:07 AM
are you guys able to clean 845 back out of your pads?

Spike73
06-14-2010, 07:34 AM

I have pretty much dedicated a pad to the 845 because it`s very hard to clean it out. But I have soaked the pad in Dawn + water, and it got most of it out.

imported_DetailDan
06-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Definitely apply it via PC. I put a flip top cap on my bottle of 845, makes it much easier to use.

Accumulator
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Noting that I`ve never tried the LC gold pads....

I can`t ever get quite as thin an application via PC/Cyclo as I can by hand, but I can get 845 plenty thin enough and I prefer the motions/etc. of doing it by machine. I often buff most of it off by machine too, using MF bonnets (I usually do a final follow-up by hand).

I usually use the red Griot`s wax pad with the PC, and no, I never seem to quite get all the 845 washed out, not that it appears to matter. It`s not like the pad ends up too stiff or mars the paint or anything like that.

imported_RedlineIRL
06-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone, I`ll try it nextime with my red CCS pads I have.

I have been able to get most out, but there`s usually some leftover. I usually just dedicate them to be used elsewhere afterwards

I just put some 845 on a few weeks back, and I want to go back over it with some more 845 x2. Usually I wait a couple months in betweeen, but I want see what 845 can do applied again at a closer interval. I have usually went with a cleaner polish before with 845, such as Poorboys blue polish just to brighten things up and give everything a smoother surce. Should I be fine with going straight to 845 when I apply it again, or should I use some sort of cleaner polish first?

Legacy
06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Great tip Spike73
I agree with jono. I have found that I like to apply LSP`s with my polisher because it`s faster, and I feel like I`m getting better coverage and a nice thin application every time. I have applied 845 with my Flex 3401, and I have not seen a difference in durability, but like I said I find it`s easier to use the polisher. Of course I still have to go back by hand with a foam applicator to get the tight spots where the Flex won`t reach.

Now you are right about how runny 845 is. So what I did was hold the bottle onto the pad, and then tip both the bottle and the pad over so i just got a little dime sized circle of product on the pad. I put like 3 of these dime-sized circles onto the pad and then applied it to the car, repleninshing as needed. I couldn`t find a better way to apply it to the pad without pouring it all over. And a little goes a long way, so I feel I used less product than by hand.

To apply it you`ll need to use a finishing pad. For the Flex, this means a blue or red CCS pad.

Leadfootluke
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Just spray it on the pad, then reapply by spritzing the pad as needed.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/128965-collinite-spray-wax.html

Accumulator
06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
..what I did was hold the bottle onto the pad, and then tip both the bottle and the pad over so i just got a little dime sized circle of product on the pad. I put like 3 of these dime-sized circles onto the pad and then applied it to the car, repleninshing as needed..

That sounds like a *LOT* more product than I put on the pad :think:

(Not intended as a slam, just an observation, and I probably replenish more often).

I find a good test is to see how much LSP is left in the pad at the end of the job. If I can squeeze much out when cleaning the pad I figure I used way too much.

ThrillHo
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I find a good test is to see how much LSP is left in the pad at the end of the job. If I can squeeze much out when cleaning the pad I figure I used way too much.

You guys probably use different pads? My red Griots` soaks up product like no other, and I`m getting tired of it (luckily I have some new Ubers on the way!). I haven`t quite gotten the hang of applying LSPs via my RO. I`m getting better, but I can`t quite seem to get the product as evenly distributed as I`d like.

Accumulator
06-15-2010, 03:40 PM
You guys probably use different pads? My red Griots` soaks up product like no other, and I`m getting tired of it (luckily I have some new Ubers on the way!). I haven`t quite gotten the hang of applying LSPs via my RO. I`m getting better, but I can`t quite seem to get the product as evenly distributed as I`d like.

I didn`t notice the Griot`s red pad soaking up all that much product, but if that`s a concern you might oughta try the LC Gold pad; I hear it`s very good in that regard.

FWIW, there are some LSPs (sealants mainly, but also waxes like Souveran) that I always do by hand...not like you *need* to do it by machine.

imported_Bence
06-15-2010, 05:05 PM
845 is the spreading king. Its lubes are very effective so it is perfect for rotary application too.

ThrillHo
06-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I didn`t notice the Griot`s red pad soaking up all that much product, but if that`s a concern you might oughta try the LC Gold pad; I hear it`s very good in that regard.

FWIW, there are some LSPs (sealants mainly, but also waxes like Souveran) that I always do by hand...not like you *need* to do it by machine.

Thanks for the tips. The Griots` red is actually the only finishing pad I have experience with. I think im getting better with it though. It`s most likely operator error.

That`s interesting that there are some LSPs that you always do by hand. Which souveran wax do you do by hand? The liquid or paste? I`ve been eyeing that one for some time, and now thanks to this thread I`m going to have to get serious about Colly 845 :clap: