PDA

View Full Version : souveran on metallic?

cheeto chop
06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I had already chosen what I thought would be the best wax for what I want, which is a super deep, wet, warm shine that makes my car look like its melting. I chose Pinnacle Souveran.

However, after doing some more research, i found that PS mutes metallic paints.

Now I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if my car is metallic? I have a 2001 mineral grey Mustang. FYI, this mineral grey is different than that of other year mustangs.

2. Any suggestion for a carnauba wax?

It seems from what I have read that the more popular ones are P21S and Natty`s Blue. I am considering these and another carnauba called Dodo Juice Supernatural. Any comments on these for metallic paints, that is if mine turns out to be metallic.

Accumulator
06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I had already chosen what I thought would be the best wax for what I want, which is a super deep, wet, warm shine that makes my car look like its melting. I chose Pinnacle Souveran.

However, after doing some more research, i found that PS mutes metallic paints...

Not always. It`s my wife`s fave on her silver Audi and she would say it doesn`t mute the flake. Yeah, it "darkens/deepens" most paints, but, perhaps strangely enough, that doesn`t always translate to muting metalflake. I used it on my Pewter Metallic C5 `vette and it didn`t do it on that car IMO either. I`d be much more worried about it not lasting long enough and/or protecting well enough.

Now I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if my car is metallic? I have a 2001 mineral grey Mustang. FYI, this mineral grey is different than that of other year mustangs.

Do you see little sparkly metalflake bits in the paint? It *sounds* like a metallic, but I`m not familiar with it.

2. Any suggestion for a carnauba wax?

As I posted in anothe thread, in your case I`d recommend going with Collinite 845, at least for now. If it doesn`t look swell it won`t be the wax`s fault ;)

It seems from what I have read that the more popular ones are P21S and Natty`s Blue. I am considering these and another carnauba called Dodo Juice Supernatural. Any comments on these for metallic paints, that is if mine turns out to be metallic.[/QUOTE]

Dubbin1
06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
However, after doing some more research, i found that PS mutes metallic paints.

The flakes on my car look like someone turned on a light switch after using Souveran Paste.

JasonD
06-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Souveran will look great on your Mineral Grey. More important than what wax to use is what you`re going to do before that step. Prep is everything, it doesn`t matter what wax you use, if it`s not polished and prepped correctly, it will all look bad. On the other hand, if it`s prepped right, you can use ear wax and it would look good, lol.

cheeto chop
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Accumulator: Thanks, now I know my car is metallic. Its also good to know PS looked good on your vette since the paint on that is similar to mine. Did you use PS paste or liquid? Since the PS does not last as long as we`d like, do you use something else in combination with it such as a sealant or other carnauba?

Dubbin1: Yes, cheese is awesome. I also like your analogy about the light switch. I cant wait to see the same results on my car. What kind of prep work did you do? Did you use any other products like a glaze or a sealant along with the Souveran?

JDookie: Thanks for your input on my mineral grey. My prep work is:

wash

clay

polish

carnauba

I will probably use an aggressive car shampoo for the prep work and Maguiars Clay from Wal Mart. Still not sure which polish I will use but it will definitely be something by Menzerna. Ill probably use Menzerna IP but Im still deciding on a finishing polish. With so many to choose from I cant decide. Finally, where can I purchase ear wax? Just kidding. But seriously, I have seen that different waxes yield different results. Some waxes yield a glossy, reflective shine while others give off a deep, wet, warm, 3D effect that make the car look more like its glowing rather than glossy. I have looked at several waxes, including P21S, Blue Velvet Pro, Nattys Blue, Souveran, and Collinite. What is your take on these waxes for what I am trying to accomplish?

All: What kind of prep work did you do? Did you use PS liquid or paste? Did you use anything in combination such as a glaze or sealant? THANKS!!!

lasthope05
06-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Prep work is all in the paint correction. A perfectly polished and swirl free paint is where you will see all of your gloss and clarity. Wax is just the icing on the cake. They only add a little bit to the over all finish so dont get all caught up in waxes/sealants.

Accumulator
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
..good to know PS looked good on your vette since the paint on that is similar to mine. Did you use PS paste or liquid?

I`ve only used the paste. On the `vette I applied the PS over top of Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, which is mighty glaze-like as paint cleaners go.

Since the PS does not last as long as we`d like, do you use something else in combination with it such as a sealant or other carnauba?

On the Jag I apply PS over Autoglym SRP and then usually just refresh the PS over the course of the (good weather driving) season.

I`ve applied PS over top of Collinite with OK results but you have to spit-shine it lest you mess up the Collinite and IMO it`s not worth doing. Note that most of the time I`d say Collinite by itself is just fine.

In your case I`d probably use the PS over top of *something*, but what that something would be would depend on, oh jeeze....a zillion imponderables! Sorry, I know that`s hardly helpful! Guess I`d go with the SRP, Zaio...probably something like that.

I have seen that different waxes yield different results. Some waxes yield a glossy, reflective shine while others give off a deep, wet, warm, 3D effect that make the car look more like its glowing rather than glossy. I have looked at several waxes, including P21S, Blue Velvet Pro, Nattys Blue, Souveran, and Collinite. What is your take on these waxes for what I am trying to accomplish?

Of those I`ve only used the P21s, PS, and Collinite.

P21s was *SO* much brighter/more reflective/"shallower" on my Jag that I simply *HATED* it. Couldn`t believe my eyes as I never expected that. BTW, while the Jag is one very weird paint (single stage metallic lacquer), its color, Rhodium metallic- a metallic light/medium gray, is probably very similar to yours.

The Souveran looks good on anything, just doesn`t last and bird bombs/bugs will eat through it right away (sorry, I know I keep harping on that). Letting it dry before buffing it off helps a tiny bit with the durability and I always use it that way (no, it`s not hard to buff off).

Collinite looks OK most of the time. The 845 is brighter/more reflective but not, IMO, the same look as P21s. The pastes are a bit deeper/less reflective. Both last a long time and protect well.

If the Mustang were mine I`d probably use Collinite, but I lean towards functionality unless it`s a real garage-queen (hey, my `85 Jag has about 18K miles since new).

What kind of prep work did you do? Did you use PS liquid or paste? Did you use anything in combination such as a glaze or sealant? THANKS!!!

Already answered the last part of that (but ask for clarification if needed)...the correction depends on what the car can stand and what *you* can stand doing and/or accomplish. Getting 100% perfection isn`t always in the cards, but if you eliminate basically all the zillions of little swirls/etc. then the light will mostly reflect instead of refract and it`ll look swell. A few RIDS won`t matter much overall so I wouldn`t overthin the paint trying to get every last one out (ditto for any deep etching).

Dubbin1
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Dubbin1: Yes, cheese is awesome. I also like your analogy about the light switch. I cant wait to see the same results on my car. What kind of prep work did you do? Did you use any other products like a glaze or a sealant along with the Souveran?

The paint was already in perfect swirl free and scratch free condition so there was no need to polish.

Here were my steps

Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Pinnacle Souveran (2 coats)

cheeto chop
06-16-2010, 12:57 AM
If the Mustang were mine I`d probably use Collinite, but I lean towards functionality unless it`s a real garage-queen (hey, my `85 Jag has about 18K miles since new).

actually, tho it is old and not the nicest model car, i love it to death and do keep it in the garage. it has been a garage "queen" for about two years now and i have put about 1k miles since then.

knowing this, would you still use the collinite stuff? i guess i should also let you know my garage is not very clean tho. in fact, it is parked inside my college`s garage : ( it was between that or having it out in the scorching sun all day (i live in the desert). the garage is pretty decent tho, except it seems like dust central. we typically have 0-5% humidity so dust is not a stranger here.

Accumulator
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
actually, tho it is old and not the nicest model car, i love it to death and do keep it in the garage. it has been a garage "queen" for about two years now and i have put about 1k miles since then...

OK, roger that...and hey, some of my cherished toys have been stuff nobody else would appreciate. It`s all about what it means to *you* in my book.

..knowing this, would you still use the collinite stuff? i guess i should also let you know my garage is not very clean tho. in fact, it is parked inside my college`s garage : ( it was between that or having it out in the scorching sun all day (i live in the desert). the garage is pretty decent tho, except it seems like dust central. we typically have 0-5% humidity so dust is not a stranger here.

OK, roger that too, and I spent enough time doing stuff in AZ to appreciate hot, dry conditions. Now I oughta point out that Scottwax gets good durability out of Souveran in hot conditions, but that`s just not how it works out for me.

Souveran isn`t all that great with regard to dust attraction/retention. So yeah...I think I`d try the Collinite. IF (big "if" IMO) you don`t like how it looks you won`t be out all that much money and you`ll still find uses for the stuff.

Dubbin1
06-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Mmmmm metal flake heaven

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/Malibu/DSC01430.jpg

DM101
06-17-2010, 07:37 AM
The Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion he used does a good job of preppping the paint. I like to use Red Moose Glaze for that step.

Mmmmm metal flake heaven

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/Malibu/DSC01430.jpg

DM101
06-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Please collect your ear wax and send To JDookie. He is going to do a ear wax LSP.

Souveran will look great on your Mineral Grey. More important than what wax to use is what you`re going to do before that step. Prep is everything, it doesn`t matter what wax you use, if it`s not polished and prepped correctly, it will all look bad. On the other hand, if it`s prepped right, you can use ear wax and it would look good, lol.

cheeto chop
06-18-2010, 12:59 AM
LOL :har:

Concourswanna b
06-18-2010, 01:44 AM
On the other hand, if it`s prepped right, you can use ear wax and it would look good, lol.

Super - LOL