PDA

View Full Version : Using gasoline to clean foam pads

Pages : [1] 2 3

454Casull
06-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Waxes are generally soluble in non-polar compounds. Gasoline is non-polar. Anybody use gasoline to clean their pads? Does it work, and how does the foam hold up?

POPPAJ
06-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I hope no one has tried this. A disaster waiting to happen.

BigAl3
06-13-2010, 08:31 PM
use dawn power dissolver, it can be found at walmart for around $3-$4 a bottle...

454Casull
06-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I hope no one has tried this. A disaster waiting to happen.

On the contrary. Your answer spurs me to do this for the advancement of mankind.

wannafbody
06-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Gasoline and a match are guaranteed to clean a pad in no time flat:angry Seriously, gasoline should not be used to clean ANYTHING-period. I find that wheel cleaner works the best of anything I`ve tried.

454Casull
06-13-2010, 09:07 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about? How the hell is the gasoline going to burn, especially when it`s not in an atomized state? lame-o

EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify. The gasoline is not going to be in a sealed or poorly-ventilated enclosure and there will be no sources of ignition nearby. Hence, without deliberate atomization of the gasoline AND a spark or flame, there will be no fire. Safe handling practices will be followed.

454Casull
06-13-2010, 09:09 PM
use dawn power dissolver, it can be found at walmart for around $3-$4 a bottle...

Couldn`t find it at mine. Would Pine-Sol work?

Legacy
06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Couldn`t find it at mine. Would Pine-Sol work?

Have you tried brake cleaner?

454Casull
06-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Have you tried brake cleaner?

No. Have you?

Setec Astronomy
06-13-2010, 10:25 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about? How the hell is the gasoline going to burn, especially when it`s not in an atomized state? lame-o

I hope that was a joke. There ARE some firefighters on this forum who I presume will also be asking if that was a joke. I`m sure you can come up with some less volatile/flammable non-polar solvents...and hope that they don`t dissolve the foam or the adhesive that holds the backing on.

wannafbody
06-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Gasoline evaporates, the fumes are what burns. People burn down houses and get burned for life using gasoline for things it wasn`t designed for.

454Casull
06-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Gasoline evaporates, the fumes are what burns. People burn down houses and get burned for life using gasoline for things it wasn`t designed for.

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk.

Happy? Jesus, you`d think I was sweating copper pipes while wearing a suit of alcohol-soaked linens.

lasthope05
06-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Aside from being a danger with fumes and say a rotary polisher that arches electricity in use, I dont see it being all that effective. Gasoline leaves behind a very oily residue that will require a second cleaning. Also, with petro being a solvent I wonder what kind of detrimental effects it would have on the foams structure.

I used goop glue on one of my old LC pads that had the velcro peeling off and the solvents in that definitely damaged the pad. Instead of a stiff orange pad, I have an orange pad that`s as soft as a black/grey.

autoconcierge
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Disclaimer: Use at your own risk.

Happy? Jesus, you`d think I was sweating copper pipes while wearing a suit of alcohol-soaked linens.

"Smart I like......smarta** I don`t". 37 posts and you come up with these gems of wisdom:nomore:.

imported_Larry A
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Gasoline is not a good cleaner. Mineral spirits would be better , but I dont think that I would use it either.