PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Service Cart

MusicMan
06-09-2010, 03:51 AM
I saw a coupon ad in one some little advertising paper that came in the mail for a $99 steel service cart with a sliding drawer for $55.

I THINK its this one http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90428&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName= but dont hold me to it (i dont know why they dont put their prices on their website??)

I`m gonna probably check it out tomorrow...would really like to have one to put my buffer/supplies/MF`s on while i`m workin around the car...and the little drawer would be a nice bonus as well for pads or whatever.

I will say if its the one i looked at a few weeks back, that the drawer wasnt the smoothest (its no craftsman)...but then again, its $55. I dont know if you need the coupon or if its just a permanent sale, but thought I`d put it up here incase someone wants one :)

uxu
06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Please don`t take this as a thread-jacking :nervous: ...

Those are not bad for the price. The sliders on the drawers can be a bit wonky - and as you say, they are not `Sears` quality.

I thought about one of those for a while until I realized how clumsy I and others can be in the garage around vehicles. I opted for a non-metal cart like this (http://www.uline.com/BL_1850/Uline-Utility-Carts) for about $100.

Sears even has a few like it as well (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959732000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Storage&sName=Tool+Carts&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1)for about $100.

Oh - and these are great to keep all of your spray bottles in too (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPA5356S240885508P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Storage&sName=Tool+Carts&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1).

JohnKleven
06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I saw one of these at Harbor Freight last week, and it was falling apart, and massively crooked "IN THE STORE". Don`t waste your money. Harbor Freight is ok for certain things, but for others, like tool carts, I say stay away.

John

BigAl3
06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
i bought this one many years ago for less than $25 IIRC, and it`s served me well...

16" x 30" Steel Service Cart (http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-30-inch-steel-service-cart-5107.html)

Eliot Ness
06-13-2010, 03:08 PM
i bought this one many years ago for less than $25 IIRC, and it`s served me well...

16" x 30" Steel Service Cart (http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-30-inch-steel-service-cart-5107.html)

I have a grey version like BigAl3`s and it has also worked out well. I don`t put engine blocks or transmissions on it but it`s great to be able to move stuff out of the way quickly. The non-metal carts look like a good idea too, I didn`t see those when I bought this one.

smokinfastlegen
06-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I saw one of these at Harbor Freight last week, and it was falling apart, and massively crooked "IN THE STORE". Don`t waste your money. Harbor Freight is ok for certain things, but for others, like tool carts, I say stay away.

John

Dont forget though, store displays, especially at harbor freight, are assembled without any care in mind. I am sure an autopian would put it together and tweak it to make it right.

rdorman
06-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I have had this one for years in the garage, used frequently and has served me well: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=6650&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

MusicMan
06-15-2010, 02:18 AM
I like the idea of plastic ones, but even new they look so dull! I know thats not the biggest issue to worry about, but lets face it, everyone here cares about how their things look so thats a big reason why i was leaning towards a metal one....preferably a black one :).

I like the 3 tier one you posted Rdor...I`m kinda unsure which way i want to go. I like the idea of a drawer, but just not sure if id actually use it that much or not. Was thinking I may get more use from an extra tier or maybe just a 2 tier with a very high space on the bottom one. Hmmm decisions decisions (i`m talking like i can afford to go out and just buy one right now lol..NOT!)

PistolWhip
06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
I have that cart and its worth every penny as a detailing cart. The assembly is key in keeping it from appearing "wobbly" or "shakey". My tool supply consists of mostly Snap On, Mac and Matco tools and I literally have 10`s of thousands of dollars worth of tools not including storage. I say this not to brag, but to ensure you that I understand the difference between quality and garbage. Harbor Freight is surely not my go to place for hand tools and heavy use items, but this cart is more than worth its cost at this price. I use it as a detail cart and a clean place to put my buffer and towels down while I`m working. The casters lock keeping the car from rolling and the drawer, while not great for heavy tools and the like, works very well as a small detailing accessories storage compartment. It`s not a great "tool" storage unit, but for $55 you can`t go wrong as a detail cart. I also picked up a few yoga mats from a five and dime and cut them up as liners. They work great and can be thrown out and replaced very cheaply if they get soiled or torn.

The key with this cart is making sure the casters are seated all the way into the legs, otherwise it will be tippy and uneven. They`re hard to get in, but once seated all the way, its a rock solid cart. Also, I suggest using larger washers on the assembly bolts to keep the bolt heads from sinking into the legs. This made mine very sturdy and its held up great so far.

MusicMan
06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I have that cart and its worth every penny as a detailing cart. The assembly is key in keeping it from appearing "wobbly" or "shakey". My tool supply consists of mostly Snap On, Mac and Matco tools and I literally have 10`s of thousands of dollars worth of tools not including storage. I say this not to brag, but to ensure you that I understand the difference between quality and garbage. Harbor Freight is surely not my go to place for hand tools and heavy use items, but this cart is more than worth its cost at this price. I use it as a detail cart and a clean place to put my buffer and towels down while I`m working. The casters lock keeping the car from rolling and the drawer, while not great for heavy tools and the like, works very well as a small detailing accessories storage compartment. It`s not a great "tool" storage unit, but for $55 you can`t go wrong as a detail cart. I also picked up a few yoga mats from a five and dime and cut them up as liners. They work great and can be thrown out and replaced very cheaply if they get soiled or torn.

The key with this cart is making sure the casters are seated all the way into the legs, otherwise it will be tippy and uneven. They`re hard to get in, but once seated all the way, its a rock solid cart. Also, I suggest using larger washers on the assembly bolts to keep the bolt heads from sinking into the legs. This made mine very sturdy and its held up great so far.

Hey thanks for the info. I havent yet picked one up...but you renewed my interest in it with your advice and advocating that it`s a good cart :). Thanks!

Edinburg
06-29-2010, 02:21 AM
I have a Harbor Freight service cart that has worked out fine for me, although I wouldn`t set a cylinder head or try to stand on it. I have personally tested the Harbor Freight tires in sand and they work quite well,.. You should now be able to assemble the cart.