PDA

View Full Version : Help - front paint peeling

SmithsonGA
06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Check out these pictures. My BMW 550i has paint peeling on the front bumper/fascia. My wife says she didnt hit anything and there is no crease or witness mark but check out the peeling. and it is white underneath?

I assume this will entail a body shop to sand down and repaint the entire thing?

Any other alternatives??

thx

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff270/smithsonga/P1000104.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff270/smithsonga/P1000108.jpg

Mindflux
06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Eww. I`d say that`d require a repaint. Ask your wife (again) what she hit. :p

automedix
06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Repaint! - I saw stress cracks in the picture as well - Best to get the whole thing repainted unless you have a "top notch" body man that is capable of preping the bumper, primering, and painting without incident. Also he needs to be able to blend. Second thought - you should just get the whole bumper done, but make sure they know how to prep properly. I`m betting that is what went wrong in the first place.

JohnKleven
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Definitely repaint. It looks like a poor repaint has been done, and not prepped properly for the repair.

John

salty
06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
What John said. Only good thing is it is white on white.

2005GTPinMD
06-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Have you ever had the car in for collision work? It looks like the bumper was repaint must likely by BMW and/or the dealer. Cars sometimes get damaged during transport. If it was repainted due to damage before your purchase ask them to repaint it. I think this might actually be a warranty item.

SmithsonGA
06-09-2010, 05:54 AM
I bought this as a CPO, so I do not know if they repainted it...it didnt show in the service records (ha).

We did have some repair from being hit by a deer, but the work order/estimate does not include the front bumper...it was only the driver and passenger door.

this is just weird because it looks like a slice where the paint is then peeling off. Obviously an adhesion issue.

since I purchased, I have clayed and polished this car without any issues. I just found this during a recent car wash.

Frustrating to say the least.

Dan
06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I`d take it back to the dealership where you bought it at and see what they will do for you. Push them, they will try to get you to give up. Chances are some lot lizzard resprayed it. If you can`t get them to respray it for you(the right way), you might be able to feather sand the edges and make it look much better until the next time bumpers meet and you really do need a repaint.

SmithsonGA
06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I`d take it back to the dealership where you bought it at and see what they will do for you. Push them, they will try to get you to give up. Chances are some lot lizzard resprayed it. If you can`t get them to respray it for you(the right way), you might be able to feather sand the edges and make it look much better until the next time bumpers meet and you really do need a repaint.

I bought the car 14 months ago....not sure if they would buy the fact it took this long for it to occur. Is that possible?

Dan
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I bought the car 14 months ago....not sure if they would buy the fact it took this long for it to occur. Is that possible?

It it is if you play the "you told me you were selling me a car that hadn`t been in any accidents" card. Especially effective on a busy Saturday afternoon when said loud enough.