PDA

View Full Version : Using a PTG

uniquedetailing
06-07-2010, 09:51 PM
So i recently bought a highline 2, im workin on restoring a 62 impala and 8 months later onto the wetsanding part. ive never used a PTG before and im not really sure how to take the readings. i know theres plenty of paint on the car so im not to worried about that. what im confused with is how much clear can i take off, wetsanding, compounding. im gettin reading in the 10-15+ the roofs goin from 6-8

anymore info from people using all the time would deff help, i need 101 PTG

Thanks

uniquedetailing
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
oh im starting with a 1000 grit, im know peoples first though, you should be careful but when ive painted the car, i sand the piss out of it, im after slick. im goin to try da sanding for the first time, should be fun. ill post pics when im happy with it

jashton
06-08-2010, 05:33 AM
You should not need to go below 1500 grit (wet) by any means unless the orange peel is bulging off the car. If you start with 1000 you will need to sand the car three times. Once with 1000, once with 2000 to remove 1000 grit scratches, and once with 3000 to remove the 2000 grit scratches.

There should be no reason to use 1000.

-Jeff

MarcHarris
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
as for the PTG, many people like using microns rather than mils - on the Highline II, you change that by the press of a button. It truly doesn`t matter and the main thing you`ll want to see is if you have very low spots or potential trouble areas - that`s the main reason guys using thickness gauges. It sounds like you have A LOT of paint to work with on your car, so you shouldn`t have to be too worried. Pay special attention to edges of panels, curved areas of body panels, and any other area that either didn`t get as much paint, or that can easily get sanded more aggressively than the big, open, flat areas. Your paint is still soft, so aggressive sanded and buffing can be done, but it needs to be controlled and done in the safest manner possible.