PDA

View Full Version : Chamois

dipstick_54
06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Please tell me the "down and dirty" details on using a chamois to dry a car....:think2

Furd
06-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Just before you use it, throw it into the garbage? :nixweiss

Accumulator
06-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Please tell me the "down and dirty" details on using a chamois to dry a car....:think2

Heh heh, I`m guessing you don`t mean "down" as in scratches caused by grinding residual dirt down into the paint, or "dirty" as in once it gets dirty it`s a pia to clean it and/or there`s no nap for any dirt to migrate to/get caught up in away from the paint ;)

Yeah, that`s a good-natured slam at chamois, which I did use for quite a few years. Still have my John Bull one around here somewhere...

Anyhow...you get the chamois wet, wring it out (they say to squeeze instead of wring, but good luck with that in real life) so it`s merely a little damp, lay it on the paint all spread out, grab it by the two corners closest to you, and pull it across the paint.

Note that`s a little different from how most people would use a towel.

Note that I`ve *NEVER* had any chamois get all the water off, never. They always left a little water behind, which I`d get with a towel (preferably a WWMF towel, which would be a lot better idea than the chamois anyhow ;) ).

Keep the chamois away from dirt and also away from rubber trim- any black stains from said trim might be forever.

Some chamois are supposed to be stored damp, others can be dried out. Clean it with chamois cleaner (or maybe woolite) as needed.

I`m guessing you already have one, and want to get some use out of it, but I`d recommend you use something else. I even prefer the synthetic types of chamois over the real thing, and by a pretty good margin (though I could put up a great argument against those too).

Up To Eleven
06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
A chamois was the only thing I used to dry my cars for over 20 years. I switched to MFs about 18 months ago after discovering autopia. I have come to HATE plush MFs because they attract and hold debri (bits of leaves mostly) and it drives me crazy. I am now using the WWMF from DI. I love it but I am considering going back to the chamois to see how it compares.

I respectfully disagree with Accumulator on a couple points. 1) I never had much luck dragging the chamois across the car. I think that`s why Accumulator had to follow up the chamois with a MF. I just rubbed the chamois on the car like I would a MF. You WILL have to wring and stretch the chamois several times during the process but you can get the car completely dry. 2) I never had luck with synthetic chamois. I always went back to the real thing.

I always had two chamois; an old one for door jams, and a fairly new one for the paint and windows. Just be sure to soak them, wring them, and stretch them before they touch the paint.

The most common complaint about chamois is that you can scratch your entire car if it gets contaminated. Don`t let it touch the ground and be mindful of contaminates and you`ll be okay.

dipstick_54
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I`m surprised at these responses. I thought that that all would be negative and that they were somewhat "taboo" in the detailing world. I have hesitated to use mine after discovering the detailing forums as I see how easy it is to mar a finish using items that I always thought were safe. I have found that a WWMF does the job too, and I get the impression that it may be a little safer. Thanks for the replies and expertise!

BigAl3
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
if you use a chamois, i would opt for the absorber instead and use it to blot dry. just make sure to get it wet before use if it`s hard, and then wring it out as neccesary. if you do the sheeting method with the hose, it will cut down on the amount of water to dry. btw, i prefer a quality ultra-soft waffle weave or microfiber drying towels instead...

Lonnie
06-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Here`s another "hint" to using a chamois (or WWMF towel if you are so inclined):

Use a leaf-blower to blow off the excess water first. It saves alot of drying time and gets much of the water that comes out of crevices that streak down the surfaces AFTER you thought you`ve thoroughly dried your vehicle.

If you do use a blower:

1) DON`T use it if you`ve washed your vehice on grass or gravel. The debris it kicks up will deposit back on to the wet surfaces.

2) Blow off the concrete driveway BEFORE you begin washing to remove any dirt and debris so it doesn`t blow it back onto the wet surfaces.

3) Try to keep the blower pointed at the car and not the ground. It`s a difficult "technique" to master.

4) If you`ve used your blower as a vacuum (which some blowers can do) clean it thoroughly before using it on your vehicle or don`t use it at all. Debris residue left behing from vacuuming will sandblast your vehicle`s surfaces.

I know this particular reply is (ALOT) off topic, but if you are "old school" and still prefer a chamois to dry your vehicle, blow-drying can save some time, especially if you use carnauba waxes that leave alot of water beads on the horizontal surfaces.

imported_Gears
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I have come to HATE plush MFs because they attract and hold debri (bits of leaves mostly) and it drives me crazy.

The most common complaint about chamois is that you can scratch your entire car if it gets contaminated. Don`t let it touch the ground and be mindful of contaminates and you`ll be okay.

How can you keep your chamois so clean but you can`t keep leaves out your micro-fiber towels?

Yes keeping towels and chamois clean is important.

Accumulator
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Contamination- IME sooner or later, you`ll somehow fail to get some speck of abrasive [stuff] off the car and it`ll get caught between your drying medium and the paint. I simply cannot *imagine* anybody washing more thoroughly than I do, or in a cleaner shop, and yet it still happens to me now and then. Heh heh, I`m not talking about contamination like a piece of leaf or a blade of grass by a long shot, but rather something so small you can`t see it.

Blotting- Good idea, probably even "the right thing to do", but depending on the vehicle it can be mighty hard to not succumb to the temptation to just wipe the water off. Just try blotting a Suburban every time you wash it ;) Can be problematic if you do the QD-while-drying thing too, pretty much requiring a whole `nother step.

I`m surprised at these responses. I thought that that all would be negative..

As you can see in this thread, different people have different experiences...for all sorts of reasons. Find what works best for *you*.

dipstick_54
06-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Cool! Thanks again....

Up To Eleven
06-09-2010, 07:00 PM
How can you keep your chamois so clean but you can`t keep leaves out your micro-fiber towels?

They both get contaminated but it`s MUCH easier to decontaminate a chamois. I`ve tried picking debris out of plush MFs and it`s not fun. I don`t recall swirling up my paint using a chamois. It`s possible I was less observant in my pre-autopian days. That`s one reason I`m considering a return to the chamois. I`d like to see if they`re as good as I remember or maybe I`ve been looking at the past through rose colored glasses.

imported_TouchofClass
06-10-2010, 12:43 AM
The best way to clean a chamois is with a pressure washer... if its available for you, other than that i would have a bucket of clean water handy to rinse out the chamois as needed, depending on how many cars you are doing..

dschia
06-12-2010, 06:41 PM
The good thing about a chamois is the durability. Though it leave streak more than a MF, I feel that it remains softer after countless use.