PDA

View Full Version : How to Tackle Plastic Trim Next to Windows

imported_spielnicht
06-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Never really knew how to tackle the plastic trim in the pic below. Ideas??

http://www.spielnicht.com/library/images/merc.png

carsnbeer4life
06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
IME i`d start out with a finishing pad black and a light polish like Menzerna final polish 2.

Accumulator
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
For me, it`d depend on the trim`s condition, what you`re trying to accomplish.

Most of the time I`d use KAIO. When it`s oxidized or otherwise needs stronger measures, I`ll start considering abrasive polishes. Gotta be careful though, the wrong stuff and/or the wrong technique can leave nasty white stains that`ll be a whole new problem.

Kean
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
IME i`d start out with a finishing pad black and a light polish like Menzerna final polish 2. ....pretty harsh solution without knowing what the OP is trying to "tackle" don`t you think?

I would go with Accum`s suggestion. Assuming this is the typical matte-like finish it appears to be in the picture, I usually try to avoid "polishing" if possible to help prevent producing a shine.

jono20
06-07-2010, 12:24 PM
after compounding I always give rubber trim, and and B pillars, a nice rub down with iso alcohol. If the pillars are painted I treat them with my finishing polish/sealant, if they are plastic I treat them with a dressing along with the rubber.

imported_spielnicht
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
It is typical matte finish. Still have some KAIO laying around, I`ll give it a try today. I`m basically just trying to bring some life back into those pieces. I can`t tell if they`re oxidized, kinda hard to tell on a matte finish.

Accumulator
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
It is typical matte finish. Still have some KAIO laying around, I`ll give it a try today. I`m basically just trying to bring some life back into those pieces. I can`t tell if they`re oxidized, kinda hard to tell on a matte finish.

See what the KAIO cleans off and how it works on them. I`d top it with something more durable, like KSG (I`d use the W-O-W-O method for the most uniform finish on plastics like that) or Collinite 845.