PDA

View Full Version : Rust on Lug Bolts

awcjacobs
06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey Guys

So not much of a poster because everything has already been answered. But I am having problems keeping my lug bolts from developing a coat of rust.

I have aftermarket (chrome looking) security bolts for my Konig wheels. I am having issues with a coat of rust (rust color) that keeps developing in the bolt. Occasionally if it rains or gets wet, the rust will run off and leave a mess.

I have taken out the bolts and polished and protected (with Poor Boys Wheel wax) them, yielding good results, but that solution did not last as long as I thought it should.

Anyone have any ideas to keep these bolts free of rust, so I do not have to remove the bolts if I do not have too

Thanks

454Casull
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Try coating the studs with mil-spec anti-seize, either nickel- or copper-based. If you go this route you must NOT allow any anti-seize to come into contact with either mating face between the wheel and wheel lug nut.

systemtek
06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
what about loc-tite or another type of thread sealer??

454Casull
06-07-2010, 12:06 AM
If you mean threadlocker, then you`re out of your God-damned mind.

EDIT: I had no intention of inflicting any emotional duress. I was simply trying to ensure that nobody would try this.

BostonDuce
06-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Try Boeshield T-9. Spray on and the carrier drys leaving a waxy film.

Also get a set of nylon inset, deep sockets that won`t dig into the lugs when you do take them off.

BD

Accumulator
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
... I have aftermarket (chrome looking) security bolts for my Konig wheels. I am having issues with a coat of rust (rust color) that keeps developing in the bolt. Occasionally if it rains or gets wet, the rust will run off and leave a mess...

That sounds pretty severe...rust run-off and all.

Where is the protective finish compromised? Once you get down to bare steel, and it starts to rust, IMO it can be a losing battle.

Right off-hand, it sounds to me like it`s simply time for new ones, and that you`ll need to take special care to keep the new ones nice.

rdorman
06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Studs, try copper anti-seize and brush on liberally. Nuts, after cleaning try some thing like S100 Corrosion Protectant sold at most bike shops. Works well on all polished bright work. Neither is permanent.

Boeshield works great as well.

454Casull
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM
That sounds pretty severe...rust run-off and all.

Where is the protective finish compromised? Once you get down to bare steel, and it starts to rust, IMO it can be a losing battle.

Right off-hand, it sounds to me like it`s simply time for new ones, and that you`ll need to take special care to keep the new ones nice.

Sounds to me like his lug nuts are fine, but the rust from the alloy steel studs is being washed out.

I must reiterate that even though the antiseize will probably work, you MUST NOT get any on any part of the the wheel or on the outside of the lug nut. In addition to preventing seizing and corrosion, antiseize also reduces friction, which in this case will significantly increase tension on the wheel studs by anywhere from 25% to 500% for the same amount of torque (% varies by source data).

Legacy
06-07-2010, 03:17 PM
If you mean threadlocker, then you`re out of your God-damned mind.

Not nice..you could have said it in a better way. He was only offering a suggestion with a question mark.

imported_Gears
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Maybe if its just your wheel locks you could look into one made by a different company. I never had a problem with McGard locks.

Accumulator
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds to me like his lug nuts are fine, but the rust from the alloy steel studs is being washed out..

Ah, I never had that problem, so it just didn`t occur to me. Eh, I guess we need some clarification here :confused:

And yeah, I use some anti-seize on my lugs, even when I`m "not supposed to". You do have to be careful to only have it on the threads, but I`ve never had any problems at all. I`m currently using some white stuff instead of my usual metallic one, and it seems a lot cleaner.

awcjacobs
06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the great suggestions. For some who need clarification, it is the inside of the lug where the key inserts too, in there it is rusting. I think Accumulator may have the correct idea and just the finish was scraped out when I have gone to remove/change my tires. I am unsure of the brand as the tire company installed them on my request, but I assumed they had a decent brand. But it is pretty hard to take care of such bolts as they require some force to loosen and again to torque. I will try a coating, recommended on here

Thanks for the help, that`s for sure

454Casull
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Oh.

Try some petroleum jelly.