PDA

View Full Version : Cracked spot in clear coat

454Casull
06-04-2010, 05:19 PM
How to deal with this? I have a Dr. Color Chip kit, so should I try to fill it before compounding it or should I try to compound it before filling? It looks almost as if the clear coat is compromised all the way down to base...

BluBrett
06-05-2010, 11:34 PM
This happened to me a while ago. I touched it up, compounded it, and polished it until it looked decent. Unless you are very skilled, it won`t look perfect unless you respray the whole panel.

Accumulator
06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
How to deal with this? I have a Dr. Color Chip kit, so should I try to fill it before compounding it or should I try to compound it before filling? It looks almost as if the clear coat is compromised all the way down to base...

I`d do some work on it *before*. That should knock loose any bits that are ready to come off anyhow and clean the area a bit. And maybe if you smooth it a bit the touchup will be easier to get somewhat level.

Just be careful to really clean off any product residue lest it interfere with the touchup.

454Casull
06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Can I sand out the clearcoat and just wax over the color? Or perhaps spray some clear from a rattle can to replace it? These spots are seriously pissing me off.

Accumulator
06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Can I sand out the clearcoat and just wax over the color?

That`s what I did on the beater-Audi, but I didn`t sand, I just compounded/polished. It might not be good enough for you, but I`m OK with it. Needs redone frequently though.

Or perhaps spray some clear from a rattle can to replace it? These spots are seriously pissing me off.

No, don`t rattle-can it! Touch it up with a brush/etc. instead if you want to do that. But again, the result won`t look all that hot. To really make it look decent you`re almost certainly looking at a pro repair. Which, FWIW, I myself wouldn`t bother with.