PDA

View Full Version : Mothers 81132/82332 vs Megs 105/205

FinishLineAuto
06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Starting off being an OTC guy, and basically relying on Mothers products to be the best I can get for that time, I`ve since changed my ways and started to find the other products in the world that work better for particular purposes. However I still myself liking a good majority of Mother`s products. Since I`m moving into the "cut and buff" world of pro detailing I`m going to need a good compound and polish. After some advice and research I figured Megs 105/205 combo is a good start especially since it`s seemed to be used alot by detailers here. However, Mother`s 81132 and 82332 is the equivalent to megs 105/205. Since they are about the same price should I stick with Megs or should I give Mothers a shot. Being different spikes my interest a bit, however I never hear about Mother`s pro line.

2007TBSS
06-03-2010, 03:16 PM
I`m still a relative newb as well, and I chose the Megs simply because of the number of people that have experience with it.

Answers to questions will be more readily available as opposed to 25 posts of "never used that specific product."

Just my .02

jono20
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
M105 became popular with the introduction of its Super Micro Abrasive Technology, which allows it incredible cutting power, yet can be applied by hand, as it doesnt need to be broken down over time.

I`m not overly familiar with mothers products, but I imagine their heaviest cutting products will be using Diminishing Abrasive Technology, so the products needs to be worked with a machine until fully broken down.

imported_RyansAutoDetail
06-09-2010, 01:34 AM
i was more impressed with Ultimate compound than i was with M105 FWIW ....

MusicMan
06-09-2010, 03:09 AM
i was more impressed with Ultimate compound than i was with M105 FWIW ....

Ultimate copound is based off 105 from what ive heard. 105 is a little tricky to use...it dusts pretty quick if you dont use enough product and if you dont keep you pad clean (clean on the fly after every cycle or every other cycle).

Its very good once you get use to it, just has a little learning curve to it :). I like 105...its good on headlights as well...will cut the yellow right out...gonna try some on stainless steel tomorrow to see if i can cut some hard STAINED stainless steel lol (boat prop).

I like 105 and LOVE 205..really good stuff, you can not only see but FEEL the difference with 205.

Its crazy, you go from rough surface..then clay bar and its like `wow thats really soft now`...then once you get the 205 down (which by the way, often times you can skip 105 if your not doing MAJOR correction and go to 205) its like feeling glass. After 205 I put down #20 Polysealant....man that paint was smooth as a babys bottom i swear...and this was on a beat to hell 96 chevy express that sat in the Az sun for the past year uncovered....cant tell by lookin at it now :)

I like mothers, but ive never used the 2 products you listed, i have used 105/205 and i think its good stuff personally...but if you go with mothers...maybe try a sample of 105/205 and find out what you like best...just an idea :)