PDA

View Full Version : Reusing pads with different product?

Pages : [1] 2

MusicMan
06-03-2010, 01:27 AM
I was just curious as to what your guy`s thoughts were as to using a pad with a different product after its been washed out really well.

I know a lot of guys have a `1 pad 1 product` rule, but would it really hurt anything say using an orange pad that was used with M105...and then use it later on with Pinnacle #4 heavy swirl cutter....as both are compounds....

I could understand not using a pad that was used with 105 and then reusing it with say...a polish like 205...but if your staying in the same catagory (compound/polish/wax) is there any harm?

gocubbies
06-03-2010, 07:41 AM
i have heard of some people that actually have a set of pads of each polish/compound they own but then again they only have like 4 polishes/compounds.

as long as they are washed throughly i never had any issues. even if you stay in same catagory of product using 2 different products with same pad( not washed pad) could cause issues. and that is because the products themselves may not get along to well

SlantS
06-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I reuse pads pretty often, but only for wholesale work.

If you wash a pad, you will either have to use the same compound, or something heavier. Never go to a lighter compound with a pad you used for heavy cutting, no matter how well you wash it, the heavy cut will still make it to the surface.

You can not use polishing pads for heavy cutting, they just arent effective.

Polishing Pad - clean & reuse as glazing pad.

Medium cut - clean & reuse for med. or heavy cut

Heavy cut - clean & reuse for heavy or super cut

Other than that, I save my thrashed wool pads for removing oxidation on gel coat surfaces.

ntwrkguy1
06-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I`ve never encountered any issues as long as I wash and rinse the pads thoroughly, and I`ve got probably 15 polishes/compounds.

imported_DetailDan
06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
I follow the 1 pad 1 product rule only for finishing polishes (106FA, 85rd, UF), and LSP`s.

porta
06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
I`ve never encountered any issues as long as I wash and rinse the pads thoroughly, and I`ve got probably 15 polishes/compounds.

I second. And I am using Menzerna mostly.

Autogeek
06-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Got too many products and too many pads to coordinate which would go with which. I think I`d need a separate garage to stay that organized LOL. I just wash my pads thoroughly and don`t worry about it. Never had an issue.

454Casull
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Got too many products and too many pads to coordinate which would go with which. I think I`d need a separate garage to stay that organized LOL. I just wash my pads thoroughly and don`t worry about it. Never had an issue.

Pick up a plastic bin organizing cabinet. Easy peasy.

Jpostal
06-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I don`t want to hi-jack the thread, but how many washes/cars can you get out of a pad before you turf it?

SlantS
06-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I use them once or twice, depending on the job that comes in. I wash them once, then save them for the haggard cars. After that I toss the foam, and put the wool in a stack for boat details.

BigAl3
06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
as mentioned.. with foam applicators and pads, just make sure to thoroughly clean and dry them and you`ll be good to go...

MusicMan
06-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I usually use APC+ to let it soak for a minute or so when im finished...then hose it off REAL good...then let it set for a while in warm water with dawn soap...then rinse it out again and let it air dry.

I havent had any problems but i just wanted other peoples opinions. I pretty much just use orange/yellow for my compounds...white for my polish...and blue/black for wax. I havent done a TON of buffing (yet :) ) but i wanted to see what everyone else does just to see if any issues have come up for anyone.

I really mostly use Megs stuff but i have some Pinnacle #1-4 and some Pinnacle polish i`d like to try so wanted to see if using the same pads would be an issue.

As for wool pads...can you use them with a PC. I got one a short while ago from someone who was selling a few pads for a good price...just wanted some opinions on using it with a PC...thanks!

Autogeek
06-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Pick up a plastic bin organizing cabinet. Easy peasy.

I already have more shelves and cabinets than I care to even think of right now. :sosad

dmw2692004
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I use them once or twice, depending on the job that comes in. I wash them once, then save them for the haggard cars. After that I toss the foam, and put the wool in a stack for boat details.

You only use a pad once or twice? That must get really expensive really really fast.

I just pre-soak with APC, then wash thoroughly and rinse out. Never had ANY issues. :buffing:

SlantS
06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I try to keep the cost of the detail under 30%

It has been working out pretty well. Anything over $250.00 ends up getting fresh supplies.