PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to apply KAIO before using......

Scroder
06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello all, Just got done using Menzerna 106FA on the car to get the finish I was hoping for. I live in remote AK and drive through some pretty rough stuff so I want to put some Collinite on the car. Do I need to go over the car with KAIO and a black pad prior to applying a coat of Collinite 845 then 2 coasts of 885 or can I just go from the 160FA to applying my wax? Thanks

Dave

wannafbody
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Collinite can go right over clean paint-no need for KAIO

Scroder
06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Any other input, I plan on doing it tonight, just want to make sure I do it right and the collinite stays on!

imported_smprince1
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
IW845 works fine directly on properly prepped/clean paint either with or without KAIO in my experience. Remember to shake the bottle a ton and spread it very thin, a little goes a long way.

Scroder
06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Cool, I plan on doing 2 coats of 845 then 2 coats of 885. Any waiting period before applying coats?

Poordude
06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
i have allways had a lot better durability putting collonite over a base of kaio. I tried it both ways.

ThrillHo
06-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I haven`t used the 845, but I use the 476 paste. No waiting time, that I am aware of. 2 coats of 845 with 2 coats of 885 sounds a bit overkill IMO. As I understand it, 885 is more for marine and aeronautical use. Helps remove bug remnants after planes smash into them at a few hundred miles per hour, etc.. 476 is what goes on my "DD" which really isn`t my DD but sits outside all day in the sun, and the ocean breeze. 845 is tough to beat. Unless you`re planing on parking your car in the ocean, I`d just stick with 845.

Accumulator
06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Cool, I plan on doing 2 coats of 845 then 2 coats of 885. Any waiting period before applying coats?

I wait a day between coats with 845 so the [whatever is in that stuff, I hear it`s "resins"] has a chance to cure.

I`ve pretty much quit layering 885/476S because of the pseudo-hologram issue; if I`m gonna do multiple applications of the paste I wait until after the next wash.

If you get the pseudo-holograms, try applying a topper of 845.

Collinite works fine after Menzerna polishes (with no cleaner/AIO/etc.) but if the Menzerna`s oils are hiding anything, it`ll show up long before the Collinite needs redone.

Scroder
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I haven`t used the 845, but I use the 476 paste. No waiting time, that I am aware of. 2 coats of 845 with 2 coats of 885 sounds a bit overkill IMO. As I understand it, 885 is more for marine and aeronautical use. Helps remove bug remnants after planes smash into them at a few hundred miles per hour, etc.. 476 is what goes on my "DD" which really isn`t my DD but sits outside all day in the sun, and the ocean breeze. 845 is tough to beat. Unless you`re planing on parking your car in the ocean, I`d just stick with 845.

I currently live in remote AK and baby my one car that sits in the garage and the other sits outside. I drive 420 miles to Anchorage one way monthly through tar and gravel and my car gets beat up. I figured the couple coats of 885 would give me that little bit more I am looking for as far as durability.

ThrillHo
06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I currently live in remote AK and baby my one car that sits in the garage and the other sits outside. I drive 420 miles to Anchorage one way monthly through tar and gravel and my car gets beat up. I figured the couple coats of 885 would give me that little bit more I am looking for as far as durability.

I misinterpreted AK as Arkansas, not Alaska. For this I apologize. That`s a hell of a commute brother! Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle do you make this pilgrimage in? I would take Accumulator`s words to the bank. However I never experienced "pseudo hologramming" even while layering 476S. I`ve done immediate layering, and also like he said, layering after the next wash. My hesitation about waiting 24hr to layer is that who knows what kinds of garbage is going land on your paint between coats. My car is like yours, always outside so I just can`t afford to wait to layer it.

:idea Now knowing more about your situation, is there a reason you`re going with the multiple layers of Collinite instead of using a sealant? You could even top a sealant with the 885/845 to kind of get the best of both worlds. Just an idea.

Scroder
06-16-2010, 03:06 AM
I misinterpreted AK as Arkansas, not Alaska. For this I apologize. That`s a hell of a commute brother! Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle do you make this pilgrimage in? I would take Accumulator`s words to the bank. However I never experienced "pseudo hologramming" even while layering 476S. I`ve done immediate layering, and also like he said, layering after the next wash. My hesitation about waiting 24hr to layer is that who knows what kinds of garbage is going land on your paint between coats. My car is like yours, always outside so I just can`t afford to wait to layer it.

:idea Now knowing more about your situation, is there a reason you`re going with the multiple layers of Collinite instead of using a sealant? You could even top a sealant with the 885/845 to kind of get the best of both worlds. Just an idea.

I work for the fed gov`t so I have to make the trip monthly. I bought a 2004 Civic EX to make the trip in. Its in great shape but we have a ton of road construction going on so it beats up the car pretty good. My car sits in the garage and I drive a beater truck when I need too. Would a sealant protect better then the layers of collinite, and whats a good brand of sealant--I have only used Klasse

Accumulator
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
... Would a sealant protect better then the layers of collinite, and whats a good brand of sealant--I have only used Klasse

Multiple (i.e, four-six) layers of KSG will protect better than Collinite IME. The other sealants I`ve used don`t do as well, with the *possible* exception of FK1000P, and even that doesn`t protect as well IME as the layered KSG.

Scroder
06-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Multiple (i.e, four-six) layers of KSG will protect better than Collinite IME. The other sealants I`ve used don`t do as well, with the *possible* exception of FK1000P, and even that doesn`t protect as well IME as the layered KSG.

Looks like I have another option I may try in a few months. Thanks for the help!

Accumulator
06-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Looks like I have another option I may try in a few months. Thanks for the help!

Well, I sorta just hope you`re happy with what you already have. Far be it from me to prod somebody into trying other stuff if what they`re currently using is OK!