PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest (least toxic) APC that can be used on aluminum?

Pages : [1] 2

estcstm3
06-02-2010, 11:54 AM
What is the safest (least toxic to people) APC that can be used on aluminum? Looking for an APC for light Engine Cleaning and Wheel Cleaning that can tackle vinly, door jams, exteriro trim. You know the holy grail of APC.. :)

I am no chemist, but I have been reviewing the MSDS sheets for quite afew APC`s and I am not sure which is more safe. All most all APC are rated a health of 1 (4 being the most toxic), with only Meguiars being health of 2. Since the meguairs seems really toxic to me it makes me think there is alot of play in the 1 range. I have started looking into degreaser that are not stricly automotive (solution 2000, safe care sc-2000, and the GGT line).

Running list of APC`? (let me know of any I haven`t thought of)

Opti Powerclean

Simple Green

Meguiars

HD Total Degreaser

DP Total Exterior

Purple Power

Adams APC

GGT Speed Clean Concentrate (green degreaser on the EPA design for environment list, seems promising) Products - Global Green Technology, LLC (http://ggtgreen.com/Products.asp)

PS21TAW

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

MusicMan
06-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Just my thoughts...I use APC+ from megs and like it. I think it really just depends on your dilution ratio.

Personally i use 10:1 and use it for vynil/leather/tire cleaner and works good on most engine cleaning, thou some may require a heavier dilution..say 5:1? But no problems as far as it staining/hurting any interior. I just use Megs Hyperdressing as soon as im done cleaning and it shines like new.

I LOVE doin the APC clean first...that way when you apply your dressing its going directly onto a fresh surface...not onto a semi clean surface and just dressing up the dirt lol.

I`ve used Simple Green and its not bad at all but I`m pretty stuck on the APC+. I WOULDNT mind having something that had a little more `sudds` to it for tires...but when i use it on tires i usually just spray it on then scrub them clean with soapy water anyway.

I should note ive never used it on any type of rims, honestly i prefer not to use any cleaner on rims other than rinse them off...then use a MF sponge and real clean soapy water and do them that way...they usually come clean quite easy. There are some cases where its just CAKED on there and i`ll use a rim cleaner, but if i can aviod it i do...hope this helps

estcstm3
06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the input, I am looking for something less toxic than the MEgs APC. I do not doubt its cleaning ability, but I would like to find something alittle safer that cleans just about as well.

Autogeek
06-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I would have to vote for P21S Total Auto Wash.

SSizzlin'
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Optimum Power Clean

2005GTPinMD
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I would also go for OPT. I love it and it is very versatile.

Streetlife
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I say CG Greenclean or PB bio-degradeable APC. Those two are not harsh at all, but of course dilution ratios are up to the user.

sparklescarwash
06-02-2010, 06:13 PM
automagic triple 7 super safe smells like black cherrys

New Skool
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Optimum Power Clean

jaynick808
06-02-2010, 09:24 PM
just run a test spot with undiluted simple green. please post results :hifive:

Accumulator
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
just run a test spot with undiluted simple green. please post results...

Just don`t try that on any bare aluminum pieces that you really care about. IIRC it was Danase who had Simple Green cloud some bare aluminum engine components.

bwalker25
06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/127036-simple-green-its-simple-dont-use-aluminum.html

that is the thread regarding Simple Green on Aluminum.

On uncoated Aluminum / Alloys I find that plain soap and water will get them clean for the most part. I sprayed a simple green type product on some F150 Aluminum rims and it stained them. I was able to polish the staining away, but talk about a heart attack when I rinsed the wheels, I saw the staining and white marks where it ran down the face of the rim.

Bottom line, be very careful when using certain cleaners on certain parts, last thing you want is to have a damaged car due to carelessness or not knowing any better.

My Vote is Soap and Water, or P21s.

jaynick808
06-03-2010, 06:30 PM
just run a test spot with undiluted simple green. please post results :hifive:

:har: that was a joke lol. simple green and purple power destroy uncoated things.

MusicMan
06-03-2010, 10:20 PM
+1 to soap and water on rims...rather safe than sorry :)

nosbusa1700
06-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Simple Green Pro HD, or Simple Green Extreme is what I use. Never had any problems with either.

Extreme Simple Green is a biodegradable, breakthrough water-based formula that meets compliance standards for Boeing spec D6-17487P, ensuring safe usage on aircraft surfaces and Pratt & Whitney PWA36604 ensuring safety on engine metals, seals and hoses, painted surfaces, gel coat, aluminum, carbon fiber, and other composite materials.