PDA

View Full Version : GG backing plate swap question (washers)

topspin2006
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I received my shiny new GG polisher last week. I still did not receive my pads though.

I changed the backing plates and tried installing both the 3.5" and 5" plates. There is one glitch though: When I went to install the other plates, I could not remove the wrench from the nut after tightening. And I`m not over-tightening.

I found a solution though: I removed the washer from the 6" plate (the one that comes with the unit) and place it over the washer that is on the other plates. This provides just a bit more room for the wrench to slide out from the nut after tightening. So I just want to know if it`s ok to have 2 washers on the plate.

Autogeek
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
As long as the backing plate is tightened sufficiently, I can`t see it being a problem.

Legacy
06-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I received my shiny new GG polisher last week. I still did not receive my pads though.

I changed the backing plates and tried installing both the 3.5" and 5" plates. There is one glitch though: When I went to install the other plates, I could not remove the wrench from the nut after tightening. And I`m not over-tightening.

I found a solution though: I removed the washer from the 6" plate (the one that comes with the unit) and place it over the washer that is on the other plates. This provides just a bit more room for the wrench to slide out from the nut after tightening. So I just want to know if it`s ok to have 2 washers on the plate.

You can`t remove the wrench because you are over tightening the plate. It should just be snug and not tight.

topspin2006
06-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Well that`s the thing, there is no way I`m over tightening the plate. If I loosen it enough to remove the wrench, then it`s completely loose. But if it`s fine with 2 washers, I`ll use it that way. Better to have it secured safely. I`d be scared to run it too loose.

ThrillHo
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
hey Topspin, I`m just about to purchase some new backing plates for the GG, which ones (brand) did you go with?

Legacy
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Well that`s the thing, there is no way I`m over tightening the plate. If I loosen it enough to remove the wrench, then it`s completely loose. But if it`s fine with 2 washers, I`ll use it that way. Better to have it secured safely. I`d be scared to run it too loose.Just doesn`t sound right...what brand bp are you using?

topspin2006
06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I got the polisher & backing plates all from Autogeek.

topspin2006
06-04-2010, 12:36 AM
I forgot to mention that I can stick to 1 washer if I use the 6" backing plate that came with the unit. So it`s likely just a difference in back plate design. Not a big deal.