PDA

View Full Version : buying a 7424 polisher

Pages : [1] 2

newmanxl
06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I am new to this. I have a new black car that i bought two weeks ago. The hood needs clay, but i don`t see swirl marks yet. Most threads i have read recommend 205/105. Should i use this combo or should i go with something else because i don`t see the swirl marks. Also, with 7424 polisher should i just buy the starter kit or should i go another route? What pads and sizes pads should i have. Thanks for your time.

Legacy
06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Get 5.5" pads. Get the combo, but start with 205 and a white pad. Take a 18"X18" test section first before doing the whole car. Good luck. BTW clay the whole car not just the hood. Take the car in the sun to inspect... I would be very surprised if you don`t have any swrils

2007TBSS
06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I was advised to check out the Griots RO. Kinda the same thing as the PC but a step up on power and cutting ability.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I would go straight to Optimums Hyper Polish Spray..........and 5.5" pads.

newmanxl
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I was wondering about if you could clay just the hood or needed to do the whole car thanks guys for the replies.

newmanxl
06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Does anybody else have an opinion on the Griot over the 7424. I have no idea when it comes to this kind of stuff. I would rather learn from other people mistakes lol.

Thomas Dekany
06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I am new to this. I have a new black car that i bought two weeks ago. The hood needs clay, but i don`t see swirl marks yet. Most threads i have read recommend 205/105. Should i use this combo or should i go with something else because i don`t see the swirl marks. Also, with 7424 polisher should i just buy the starter kit or should i go another route? What pads and sizes pads should i have. Thanks for your time.

Get the most powerful pc the one made by Griots. m2c

Nagz
06-01-2010, 10:13 PM

Just because you don`t see the swirls doesn`t mean they`re not there :chuckle: They might suddenly appear after a wash/clay/alcohol wipedown. I would go ahead and clay the entire car too.

What car did you buy? (Certain companies are known for hard/soft paint). Also keep in mind you want to start with the least aggressive method. M105/M205 is a popular combo, but you may only need M205 to remove light defects. This also depends on the hardness of the clear (how stubborn it is to polishing). Remember you only have a certain amount of clear coat.

I have the 7424XP and like it a lot. It`s a great beginners machine, and i see myself upgrading to a rotary in the months to come.

~Jack

Thomas Dekany
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Just because you don`t see the swirls doesn`t mean they`re not there :chuckle: They might suddenly appear after a wash/clay/alcohol wipedown. I would go ahead and clay the entire car too.

What car did you buy? (Certain companies are known for hard/soft paint). Also keep in mind you want to start with the least aggressive method. M105/M205 is a popular combo, but you may only need M205 to remove light defects. This also depends on the hardness of the clear (how stubborn it is to polishing). Remember you only have a certain amount of clear coat.

I have the 7424XP and like it a lot. It`s a great beginners machine, and i see myself upgrading to a rotary in the months to come.

~Jack

I have one too but it is only used for applying waxes. Compared to the flex3401 and my rotary the xp is a toy.

OP - DO NOT get the xp, it isn`t powerful enough.

newmanxl
06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I bought dodge ram

hplaceap
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I have the PC 7424xp and love it. Great first polisher at a good price. For a newer car finish for the casual `weekend` user (not a professional who needs to do very serious defect correction and/or many, many cars in a day), it is more than enough power to do what one may need. I never used any of the other polishers (other than a rotary a long time ago...), so I cannot compare them to the PC. I do not think you can go far wrong with any of the polishers mentioned here, but since I have the PC I will speak to that.

PC works great for me.

I recently did 3 of my cars that turned out extremely well:

one with paint 4 years old and very light defects,

one with paint 1 year old with some serious water spots etched into the roof,

one with paint 4 years old that had some water spots and other defects and looked dull.

The PC handled all of them well; paint looks new (or at least as new as it can with the usual stuff like chips and such).

Like some of the other posters, 5.5 pads works for me.

white LC pads for light work (like light swirls) when using the m205.

orange LC pads for light to medium defect work (like water spots that have etched in) when using the m105.

gray, black, or blue LC pads for waxes and sealants.

If you search you will find many threads here on which pads to use and why - but just about everyone agrees on the white and orange pads.

I looked at starter kits that include things like pads and polishes along with the buffer. But, most of the kits included things that I did not want or need, so I just got the PC and the things I did need and made my own `starter kit`:

PC 7524xp

6 LC white pads

6 LC orange pads

2 LC black pads

2 LC blue pads

M105

M205

several packs of LC Snappy Pad Cleaner

some new plush MF towels for wiping away residue

Some plastic containers: one to keep the polisher in, another one for the pads, another one for the polishes.

All of the above has worked out well for me; no regrets. Quite frankly, I am amazed at the results that can be produced with the right products, tools, and advice (such as is found in this forum).

One thing to mention, if you have a brand new vehicle, you might not even need to polish right now (personal choice). But if you did want to, you probably only need some white pads and the m205 and go light on it.

For example, for the car I did with 1 year old paint, I used the m105 and orange pad on the roof where I needed to get rid of some serious etched in water spots (followed up with m205 and white pad), but I only used the m205 and white pad everwhere else.

If I have learned nothing else, only use the degree of product, pressure, and pad, required to do what is needed - no more than that.

Good luck with whatever you do buy! Have fun!

Nagz
06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I have one too but it is only used for applying waxes. Compared to the flex3401 and my rotary the xp is a toy.

OP - DO NOT get the xp, it isn`t powerful enough.

I`m not saying the 7424XP the most powerful machine, all I am saying is that in my experience with picking up polishing it`s an easy and forgiving machine to learn on. Not bashing the Griots DA you recommended. I agree with you that the 7424XP is not the most powerful machine, which is why i have the 9227c on my wish list :D

~Jack

Accumulator
06-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Does anybody else have an opinion on the Griot over the 7424. I have no idea when it comes to this kind of stuff. I would rather learn from other people mistakes lol.

I have both and the GG is simply a better tool for the job.

You might have swirls appear if they`re currently hidden by dealer-applied glaze (likely), in which case the M205 on a 5.5" pad (or even a little 4" pad) might be enough. Don`t use M105 unless you *need* to.

Even though the Griot`s is listed as a 6" polisher, and companies sell big pads in "Kits" with the PC, smaller pads work better. Much better.

Since black is tough to maintain [Insert lecture about learning how to wash without marring the pant here..] you might want to consider a product that does a little concealing (for use both after the above polishing and also for periodic upkeep). Something like Autoglym`s Super Resin Polish, topped with a good durable wax. You don`t want to make ongoing maintenance too tough on yourself.

GatorJ
06-02-2010, 11:43 AM
If you are going to get the Griot`s Garage polisher open up a free Microsoft Bling account. Link out from there to AutoAnything.com and get free shipping on the GG unit plus a 12% "rebate" in the form of Bling Cashback.

MusicMan
06-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I own a PC (original not XP) and i think its a very good machine.

Granted I have the 4" LC pads to go with it and that helps your cutting ability (when needed) since the pressure is focused on a smaller area.

I think its a great start up buffer...but i already have the itch for a rotary...I know the Flex 3401 is sort of an `inbetween` buffer..between a DA and rotary...but if your just starting out you might not want to go there first...kinda depends on what you feel.

For claying...often times the flat surfaces (hood,trunk,top) need claying the most...but if you feel anything at all on the sides...i think its worth it to just clay those areas as well.

I just did my friends Chevy Express conversion van (what a BIG beast that was) and I had to clay the whole thing...sides felt almost as gritty as the hood...then did 105 on bad spots...205 to follow and 205 on the rest and shes shiney now :). Next is applying some wax...hmm decisions decisions....

good luck with your decision...let us know what you choose!