PDA

View Full Version : How does wetsanding remove scratches?

GGEvoIXMR
06-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I`m just curious as to knowing how wetsanding removes deep scratches taht polishing cant without having to touch the area up with touch up paint. I have a decent sized scratch on my roof but it looks like the majority of it wont have to be wetsanded. I`m just curious as to knowing how this process works.

Greg Gellas
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Simply, it levels the clear around the scratch to remove the scratch...

imported_agentf1
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Simply, it levels the clear around the scratch to remove the scratch...

Exactly. The only way to remove any scratches is to remove clear coat until the surface is level be it via wet sanding and then polishing or just polishing.

Greg Gellas
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
If you can catch your nail on it...Its too deep :(

MusicMan
06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
As others said you just level the clear coat around the scratch...it doesnt actually `remove` the scratch it just makes the surrounding area around the scratch the same level ...thus the reason that if it does catch your finger nail it may be too deep (because then you`d be wetsanding the surrounding area to the BASE coat which is a no no lol)

Now if it IS catching your finger nail..wet sanding will still make it look much better but not totally remove it...just remember your only have a certain amount of clear coat to work with and once you`ve sanded it all away theres only one option left (paint).

Theres lots of links on here with info on it..or autogeekonline.net has articles and videos on it as well...so take your pick!

hope this helps

454Casull
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Wetsanding isn`t the only way to fix scratches (aside from repainting the entire panel, anyway). Dr. Color Chip and similar systems like Langka do pretty well on road rash and scratches.