PDA

View Full Version : Presta

kpinks
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Has anyone used any of these products? Are they worth trying?

Buffing Compounds (http://www.prestaproducts.com/Buffing_Compounds-list.aspx)

Thx

Kev

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I think gmblack3a still uses some presta polishes unless he gave them up for M105/M205.

bryan
06-01-2010, 04:42 PM
i use them sometimes, they are very good products for the money

gmblack3
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
I think gmblack3a still uses some presta polishes unless he gave them up for M105/M205.

Have not use the presta in over a year. PM me if you want to buy them for cheap.

Polyurethanes
06-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I`ve used a ton of Presta over the last 10 years and their buffing system is so simple and easy.

Whether you have 1200, 1500 or 2000 grit sand scratches start with Ultra Cutting Creme and a cutting wool pad. One quarter size glob centered in the center hole of your wool pad is usually sufficient for a 2`x2` area (don`t shoot lines of compound all over the hood like 3M). Wool pads like speed so I run this setup between 1800-2400 rpms. Hold the pad flat when you can. Usually after 6 passes (varying the direction of course) you have removed most if not all of your scratches. Ultra Cutting creme is intended to remove all scratches before switching to Polish. Buff the surface clean.

Once all scratches are removed you will have roughly 80-90% of your final gloss. At this point, switch to a polishing foam pad and Ultra Polish aka Presta 1500 Polish (old name). Run the foam polishing pad between 1200-1600 rpms working a 2`x2` area (only need about a dime sized amount for this) at a time. This is the 2nd and the last step. For more and more gloss such as a show car/restoration keep repeating this step. Polish the surface clean. If the surface feels greasy after you finished you used way too much polish.

Presta is body shop safe, easily washes out of jambs even days later, uses minimal amounts of product and is dirt cheap compared to anything 3M makes.

Their Fast Wax (the original NON VOC Compliant version) is easy on easy off for a fast wax job that will allow fresh paint to breath.

Let me reiterate that Presta is simple, fast and inexpensive.

Polyurethanes
06-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Also, since Presta is water-based and not loaded with petroleum like 3M it clean us super easy and because its water-based you can spritz a little water on your panel to extend the life of the product already on the panel and/or on your pad.

By spraying a little water you cause the Cutting Creme and/or Polish to break down into a finer product which provides more of polishing effect. Hard to explain that in writing but try spritzing water on a panel you just used Polish on and make a few more passes and you`ll see.

Presta does have just a little bit of petroleum in it but its used for lubrication not creating fake shine and hiding swirl marks.

A gallon of Ultra Cutting Creme retails for $54.74.

Ultra Polish Quarts are $29.92 retail.

tom p.
06-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Pinks, I use three of their products plus the corresponding wool pads and have nothing but excellent results on my Makita. I`ve been 110% satisfied.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/medium/label.JPG

Polyurethanes
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Pinks, I use three of their products plus the corresponding wool pads and have nothing but excellent results on my Makita. I`ve been 110% satisfied.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/3086/medium/label.JPG

Do they still offer those? I ask because Presta purchased them from Dedication to Detail and 3M bought Dedication to Detail. I heard 3M wasn`t going to supply Presta so Presta was going to sue (this was a year ago).

As far as their pads go I have stacks.

I use the black wool for heavy cutting (1200 grit) and the green wool for 1500 or finer scratches. Then I use the blue foam pad for polishing. The cool thing about these pads is they use a 5 sided quick disconnect arbor which screws onto your buffer. The pads can only go on this arbo one way so they are always perfectly centered. No more vibrations. Not to mention their wool pads are inexpensive and outlast traditional 3M pads all day long.

I wouldn`t recommend the black wool pad on a dark color unless you really know what your doing. I`d use the green wool pad for cutting then switch to the blue foam.

Polyurethanes
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Did anyone on here who uses Presta ever get a product demo by Gus of Presta? He`s about 6` 240 and 58yo.

jpochile
06-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I got a sample package from Presta at a SEMA show in Vegas and they are great products . Wool pads are really good cutting pads and the foam is a finishing one .

Super easy to clean and they are not expensive .

The centering pad system is the same as the edge 2000 one .

Cheers ,

Jean Paul

tom p.
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Do they still offer those? I ask because Presta purchased them from Dedication to Detail and 3M bought Dedication to Detail. I heard 3M wasn`t going to supply Presta so Presta was going to sue (this was a year ago).

Hmmm.... don`t know. I had order them from my body shop supply guy some time ago and still have some virgins. Yes, the EDGE system is a great feature :)