PDA

View Full Version : Spot cleaning bird waste?

MattB
05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
I don`t like bird crap on my car. It looks terrible and it`s bad for the paint. Is there any good way to spot clean bird crap off a car without washing the entire exterior? Sometimes I don`t have time for a full ONR wash but don`t want to leave the waste on my vehicle which could potentially damage the paint.

AeroCleanse
05-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Use ONR in the Quick Detailer mix, spray on and wipe off with a MF towel.

Legacy
05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Just keep a bottle of QD and a mf towel in you trunk. Getting it off asap is the key.

Bigpoppa3346
05-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Use ONR in the Quick Detailer mix, spray on and wipe off with a MF towel.

+1

Just make sure to thoroughly soak the crap before wiping. Also, as you are wiping it up, "roll" the MF upwards (like a steamroller in reverse) so you are not dragging the mess along the paint and marring it.

cptzippy
05-31-2010, 06:52 PM
+2 to what is said above. I used to keep a small bottle of Slick but now I try to keep ONR QD strength around. That`s a good tip on the method Bigpoppa3346.

ernman
05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
I have had good luck w/ Poorboys S and W

Accumulator
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Besides ONR, FK146 works well for this.

Besides using enough product to affect a solvent action while not getting it all over, the real trick is getting the [stuff] transfered from the paint to the MF/whatever without marring the paint (good method you posted there, Bigpoppa3346). Remember that bird droppings are usually quite abrasive.

MusicMan
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
You guys forgot to mention to shoot the first bird you see:woot:...nasty little jokers (just kiddin....kind of:bolt

JohnKleven
06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Auto Glym makes "bird dropping wipes". It comes with 10 individually wrapped sachets in a box, similar to a moist towlette. Just keep them in your glovebox for whenever you need them

imported_ErnDog
06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Some QD as other have said,rinse of and wipes with a clean MF.

bill57
06-02-2010, 08:41 PM
If it got baked by the sun before you discovered it, you will not be able to just wipe it off. I had two bird episodes where the crap ate into the paint.

GoCubsGo
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Another +1 to ONR at QD strength.

Soak the dropping with the solution until it is soft and liquefied. For PITA droppings, in addition to soaking the dropping, soak a MF with the solution and set it on top of the affected area (adding a few more shots of ONR QD between the MF and dropping).

Make sure to dab the dropping when removing, don`t wipe (as Bigpoppa3346 and Accumulator noted). 90% of bird species ingest sand and gravel to aid in digestion so the sand and gravel is in the dropping and will mar the finish if wiped.

That being said, I`ve had some droppings that have been on my finish for less than 30 minutes and etched the finish. Other droppings have been on the finish for a couple hours with no damage. A lot has to do with the species and diet of the bird that bombed your finish. The good news is that the droppings that etched my finish were able to removed with a good polish after a few months.

Hope this helps.