PDA

View Full Version : M105 to attack orange peel?

ReD-BaRoN
05-31-2010, 02:11 PM
I`m not ballzy to wet sand my entire vehicle (`07 Black Acura TL). Will M105 with Lake Country 5.5" Orange pad on a PC knock some of it down?

I`ve been using Sonus SFX-1 and when that wasn`t doing much at all for the water spots and orange peel, I went to AutoZone and picked up some Meg`s ultimate compound (they don`t carry the M105/205), and while that`s working a little better than the SFX-1, I`m not getting full correction on water spots (or bird spots, not sure which it is) or knocking down much orange peel.

I`m doing this all with an Orange LC pad. That`s the most aggressive one I`ve got.

Do you think moving to the Yellow pad with either of the two products I already have make much of a difference?

Thanks!

Accumulator
05-31-2010, 04:40 PM
ReD-BaRoN- Generally, compounding is *not* an effective way to reduce orange peel. It seems that the product (and hence the abrasion) just follows the "topography" of the orangepeel`s texture; it doesn`t "cut the peaks down to match the valleys" the way you`re after. I have vehicles that`ve been compounded within a micron of their life, and they still exhibit the same degree of orangepeel that they always did.

OTOH, decades of polishing have leveled the texture of my Jag`s single stage a little...so I guess it`s not exactly a cut-and-dried case of "no, it doesn`t work". Still, I wouldn`t expect it to do much except correct, and thin, your clearcoat.

If you want to level orangepeel, the way to do it is with sandpaper. Some of the finer grits aren`t really much, if any, more risky to use than compounds like M105 (which I fear will be blamed for a lot of cc failure maybe five or ten years from now).

Legacy
05-31-2010, 05:00 PM
I`m not ballzy to wet sand my entire vehicle (`07 Black Acura TL). Will M105 with Lake Country 5.5" Orange pad on a PC knock some of it down?

I`ve been using Sonus SFX-1 and when that wasn`t doing much at all for the water spots and orange peel, I went to AutoZone and picked up some Meg`s ultimate compound (they don`t carry the M105/205), and while that`s working a little better than the SFX-1, I`m not getting full correction on water spots (or bird spots, not sure which it is) or knocking down much orange peel.

I`m doing this all with an Orange LC pad. That`s the most aggressive one I`ve got.

Do you think moving to the Yellow pad with either of the two products I already have make much of a difference?

Thanks!Wet sanding is your only option. I would highly recommend a PTG befpre wet sanding.

imported_JoshVette
05-31-2010, 05:02 PM
No compound is going to effectively diminish OP. As mentioned it will have to be releveled completely with sand paper.

I would not suggest attempting that on factory clear by hand especially if you don`t have experience sanding.

Josh