PDA

View Full Version : Polish after clay?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_DetailDan
05-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Would like to see who polishes after they clay. Please explain your answer.

imported_DJ Mayo
05-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Anytime I clay, I polish. It`s an abrasive still. Most of my jobs are paint corrections anyways so it`s included. At minimum I would do a clay poli seal job.

craigdt
05-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I do.

Because most of the time it needs it.

Bigpoppa3346
05-30-2010, 08:19 PM
...At minimum I would do a clay poli seal job.

+1. I never clay without doing some sort of machine polishing afterwards.

I can`t imagine claying a car and going straight to LSP (unless it is a *super* mild clay and the car has next to no contamination). Doing so would mean the finished product be worse swirl/marring wise than when you first started working on it, which IMO is unacceptable.

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 08:24 PM
With clearkote fine grade clay and dodojuice clay lube I can clay a car and get pretty close to zero marring. So yes sometimes I dont

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 08:26 PM
+1. I never clay without doing some sort of machine polishing afterwards.

I can`t imagine claying a car and going straight to LSP (unless it is a *super* mild clay and the car has next to no contamination). Doing so would mean the finished product be worse swirl/marring wise than when you first started working on it, which IMO is unacceptable.

I found this the case tell I switched to dodojuice clay lube, with clearkote fine grade clay it was getting all kinds of contaminates without marring

imported_DetailDan
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
This is why I started this thread. I know there are some out there who do not polish after claying. I am curious to see how/ why they are doing this.

I found this the case tell I switched to dodojuice clay lube, with clearkote fine grade clay it was getting all kinds of contaminates without marring

Have you tried Sonus green or Pinnacle poly clay? If so how do they compare to Clearkote?

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I would say its finer than both of them, even finer than automagic fine grade clay. Its extremely mailable and pliable. You can shape it with one hand easily, I can flatten a 100g piece in prob less than 5secs with little effort

imported_DetailDan
05-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I dont really think Clay Magic fine grade clay is that fine at all. Pinnacle poly, Sonus green, Mothers yellow are all much much finer, more pliable, and softer than Clay Magic.

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 08:59 PM
The one time I used it, stuff was almost melting in my hands. May have been the 105 degree texas heat also....

Greg Gellas
05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Somtimes I have clayed without correction, that was requested by the customer. Would I suggest doing it on a soft clear NO way. I have induceed marring big time with clay before. :D

ThrillHo
05-30-2010, 09:34 PM
I`m a little confused. I`m also just an enthusiast. Let`s say this is a standard detail routine:

Wash/dry; clay; correcting polish; finishing polish; LSP

Say 2-3 weeks later, my shorter lasting liquid wax has started to diminish, and I want to do a "maintenance" detail on my car. Why couldn`t I just omit one if not both of the polishing steps? Seems ridiculous and an insult to your paint to polish it every time you want to wax it.

imported_DJ Mayo
05-30-2010, 09:37 PM
You don`t. You just re apply your protection.

lemons12
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Nevermind...

LX1
05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes. I wont clay a car unless a buffing pad of some sort is touching it.