PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Harrisburg PA

Kittamaru
05-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Howdy! I was actually referred to this site in regards to two questions I have about my vehicles.

A little about myself: I`m 22 years old, married 1 year as of May 23rd to my wonderful wife, and own three vehicles - a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder VG30E 3.0L V6 engine on a WD21 Frame/Body with the Sport Package (suffering from moderate body rust due to 20 years in the salt belt of PA), a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the Luxury package (currently suffering from a dying charging system, which I have yet to troubleshoot), and a 2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited with Luxury Package (bought second hand on a steal with all the paperwork and a warranty no less).

I`m currently a Business Major at Harrisburg Area Community College though I intend to move into Computer Information Systems and/or Robotics and Cybernetic research/Nanotechnology when the chance arises. We`re living on a rather meager budget so a lot of my plans are just that -plans that will be put into motion later on as our financial situation improves.

On to the car questions :D

My wife has a white 2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited with minor body damage (a few dings from shopping carts or what not and a long scratch in a bit of vinyl trim) as well as a some paint damage (a few chips and such). I`ve been toying with the idea of getting it professionally detailed including a color change to a bright silver (silver is her favorite color) but I`m reading that shops like MAACO should be avoided like the plague due to shoddy work.

I was curious what would be good shops for small dent repairs and repaints. Failing the repaint (since I`ve seen some places they could run over 5K, which I simply don`t have atm) how much should I expect to pay for the mild repair work + a good touchup, clearcoat refinish, and detail?

Secondly, I have a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder with a "factory custom" paint and decal job (it was supposedly one of two vehicles built for the CEO of Nissan back in 1990 - I can`t confirm or deny that except the fact that the pain job and decals were factory standard and I`ve NEVER seen them on another vehicle ever... and they are beautiful).

Sadly, after 20 years in the Nor-East PA salt belt, the body has some serious rust issues. I`m fixing do repair them myself where I can, and get them done professionally where I can`t (like in the door areas where the shape is something I don`t think I could match myself). What would be a good body shop to go to that isn`t going to jam a poll up my arse and beat me like a pinata till all my money falls out Lol.

Would it be remotely possible for me to do a good paint/clearcoat job on the truck myself? Or is that a pipe dream for someone who`s never even used a can of spray paint before.