PDA

View Full Version : What have I done?

Pages : [1] 2

hababa
05-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I figured I`d spend some time on the car today, and ran through my usual routine, but with some new products. Looks like I screwed up with one of them bigtime, hopefully someone can offer some assistance.

I usually use a mass market bug remover, today I used Chemical Guys No More Bugs and Tar Remover Shampoo.

I parked the car with the front inside the garage to keep the soon to be treated area out of the sun. After I hosed down the front, I sprayed the product onto the front of the car, right from the container - I didn`t dilute it. I left it for no more than 3 or 4 minutes, came back and using a very soapy mitt cleaned the affected area. I followed with a foam gun with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Daily.

After rinsing I noticed these stains on the front. The picture isn`t great, but it clearly shows the damage. I`ve tried claying and several polishes - nothing works. Anyone have an ideas?

Thanks in advance!

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk421/stuppp987654321/whatdidIdo.jpg

Barry Theal
05-30-2010, 06:12 PM
The chemical etched into the paint should come out with some compounding.

2007TBSS
05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Was it still (engine/paint) hot when you pulled it in and sprayed it down? Looks like 4 minutes was too long. :confused:

imported_DetailDan
05-30-2010, 07:34 PM
What polishes have you tried? By hand or machine?

wannafbody
05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I`d be giving Chemical Guys a call before attempting to fix the damage.

hababa
05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
The car was warm, at most. But it really couldn`t have been more than 4 minutes.

The strongest polish I used was Poorboys Super Swirl Remover #2 with a Porter Cable and white pad.

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Its extremely concentrated, your suppose to dilute it. Your most likely gonna need a really strong abrasive with a PC and maybe a rotary

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Also chemical guys recommend method is leaving it on there for 30secs....

hababa
05-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I used the product instructions for Chemical Guys Bug Bugger & Tar Remover.

I`m thinking find a professional is the best move, thanks.

Camaro5Ryan
05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
CG customer service sucks... Good luck.

imported_DetailDan
05-31-2010, 06:50 AM
You need to call CG first.

hababa
05-31-2010, 07:37 AM
I`ll be calling them tomorrow morning. The package instructions are non-specific too; simply says "ley stand and rinse with water"

Thanks for the help.

xspwrstang
05-31-2010, 09:03 AM
I tried one of those wax as you dry, by Eagle I think, and it did the same thing. I sprayed on the hood after the wash while it was still wet (in the shade) and walked into my garage for my mf. When I dried it 2-3 mins later you could still see the spray pattern even though it was already dry. I tried everything by hand but I had to take out my PC w/Opti-Seal on white pad and it did the job. Good luck I know that feeling.

swan
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Funny as I just used the Bug Bugger and Tar remover yesterday for the first time and had the same results as you. Looks like it etched the finish and stripped off the wax. The directions on the bottle are a bit sketchy.

Makes me wonder why I can`t find it on CG`s site. Discontinued and other vendors selling off their remaining supplies of it or what? :think:

Apollo_Auto
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
CG Bug Bugger is not a commonly sold product (though I do have 1.5 gallons left) because basically all it is is their Orange Degreaser in a different bottle. It`s highly alkalic and will burn the paint and just about all it comes into contact with. If you want to use it as a bug cleaner dilute it 1:10 and only let it sit for a couple of minutes. I don`t recommend using it as a tar remover! In order to remove tar you`ll need a strong mix of this stuff,m which will also mar your paint! Yes, it will strip your wax once you start to agitate it :(. I don`t think you should start with compounding this though. Start with a light polish and work your way up. Sometimes these "burns" can be removed by adding the oils back to the paint that the cleaners removed.