PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive WalMart no rinse washes...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

wannafbody
05-30-2010, 03:06 PM
In my quest to find a OTC no rinse I hit the cleaning supplies isle at WM. I found 2 potential floor cleaner products that fit the criteria. The first is Murphy`s Oil Soap which claims to be rinseless and safe for painted surfaces such as cars. Contrary to the name MOS does not contain oil but rather surficants derived from vegetable oil. It claims to be 98% derived from nature. At around $4 for a 32 ounce bottle this fits the bill for inexpensive. I added about 3 gallons of water to a bucket and then dumped some MOS in. Initially I felt as if I got the concentration too high so I continued to add water as I depleted it. The MOS felt lubricious, had great cleaning ability and wiped off leaving pretty much a filmless shine. I used both a grout sponge and MF covered mitt. The grout sponge rinsed cleaner in the bucket but had more drag across the paint. The MF covered mitt glided easier and picked up the dirt as well but retained it in the fibers similar to pictures of ONR. I washed my filthy work van and the MOS worked impressively. I sprayed the MF mitt with wheel cleaner and rinsed and the dirt and grime washed right out. The MOS is also biodegradable. Overall, considering the price MOS passed this test with flying colors IMO. I`d rank the cleaning ability well above QEW.

The Second product at WM was ARMSTRONG floor cleaner. This is a blue colored cleaner with a citrus scent. The price was higher at $5 for a 32 ounce bottle. The directions suggest 1/4 cup per gallon of water which would make the cost per gallon a bit higher than the MOS. At the suggested concentration the cleaning ability was very good and the lubricity seemed to be good with a MF covered mitt. The dirt releases easily from the mitt and stays in the bucket. It wipes clean leaving streakless windows. I`d also rank the cleaning ability of this product as higher than QEW. The lubricity can be increased with a couple sprays of your favorite QD.

I tested the PH of both products. The MOS has a higher PH of somewhere around 10 which is comparable to Megs NXT wash. The Armstrong product came in somewhere around 8.5. As a comparison Z7 wash is neutral at a 7 and Kit car wash is slightly acidic at about 6.

It`s too early for me to declare a definitive winner as both are solid performers. Each product has it`s strengths. Psychologically I feel that MOS may be less likely to marr paint since it feels a bit more lubricious.

wannafbody
05-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Some price comparisons

QEW 32 oz for $18(plus shipping) makes 32 gallons

ONR 32 oz for $16 (plus shipping) makes 32 gallons

Armstrong 32 oz for $4.50 makes 16 gallons

MOS 32 oz for $4 makes approx 25-30 gallons

I believe you could add your favorite water based spray wax(OCW, AW, Z8) to either Armstrong or MOS for an additional gloss boost.

imported_ErnDog
05-30-2010, 06:12 PM
awesome post, I saw MOS at Big Lots a few days ago and was thinking something similar.

Mindflux
05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I`d be concerned about plastics and rubber gaskets/grommets on cars using these. It may be no worry, but I`ll wait out a long term report before using it myself.

wannafbody
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I don`t believe that rubber would be an issue since the PH is similar to some common car washes. I believe the concern with Dawn comes from some type of specific ingredient that cuts grease.

GatorJ
05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
No way, no how, not ever.

wannafbody
05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
No way, no how, not ever.

(quote)Murphy`s Oil Soap is a cleaning product marketed by Colgate-Palmolive. It is available in a concentrated liquid form which is then mixed with water, as well as pre-diluted form which comes in a trigger spray bottle. Commercials for the product state that the product is ideal for cleaning wood surfaces.

Despite the name, oil soap does not contain oil; it contains potassium soap manufactured from vegetable oil. The other constituents of Murphy`s Oil Soap are sodium EDTA, propylene glycol, fragrance, surfactants, and water.[1]

Oil soap is commonly used to clean and polish horse tack, such as bridles and saddles. The oil soap is also an excellent lubricant to use with water when throwing clay on a potter`s wheel(end quote from Wikipedia).

Why, are you afraid of putting soap on a car? The label says 98% derived from nature.

XL Advantage
05-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I can tell you in my experience and many other`s in the cleaning business murphys oil soap is a product to stay away from. It feels oily. It doesn`t rinse away very well and attracts more soils to it. It is really thick. Definitely not good on wood floors. I can`t point you to another website with a couple reviews of Murphys Oil soap. We use ph neutral chemicals on wood floors and tile all the time.

With that said, give it a shot. I`d be interested to hear if you like it better than chemicals specifically marketed as car cleaning products.

Tim

dmw2692004
05-30-2010, 09:40 PM
(quote)Murphy`s Oil Soap is a cleaning product marketed by Colgate-Palmolive. It is available in a concentrated liquid form which is then mixed with water, as well as pre-diluted form which comes in a trigger spray bottle. Commercials for the product state that the product is ideal for cleaning wood surfaces.

Despite the name, oil soap does not contain oil; it contains potassium soap manufactured from vegetable oil. The other constituents of Murphy`s Oil Soap are sodium EDTA, propylene glycol, fragrance, surfactants, and water.[1]

Oil soap is commonly used to clean and polish horse tack, such as bridles and saddles. The oil soap is also an excellent lubricant to use with water when throwing clay on a potter`s wheel(end quote from Wikipedia).

Why, are you afraid of putting soap on a car? The label says 98% derived from nature.

Im wondering if the soap actually encapsulates dirt and moves it away from the surface of the car, similar to what ONR does with its polymers. I mean, the beauty of ONR is that the little dirt particles stick to your wash media and then get released in your bucket and float to the bottom when you rinse, thanks to those synthetic polymers. I feel like Murphys is more of a “conditioner” than a real “cleaner."

wannafbody
05-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Based on what I`ve read MOS isn`t good to use on bare wood but then again not too many of use drive Woodies anymore:LOLOL

Scottwax
05-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Since both ONR and QEW are also available in gallon sizes, not sure there would be that much savings. Gallons only cost about twice what the quart sizes do, which makes them much more economical.

Legacy
05-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Im wondering if the soap actually encapsulates dirt and moves it away from the surface of the car, similar to what ONR does with its polymers. I mean, the beauty of ONR is that the little dirt particles stick to your wash media and then get released in your bucket and float to the bottom when you rinse, thanks to those synthetic polymers. I feel like Murphys is more of a “conditioner” than a real “cleaner."

"I mean, the beauty of ONR is that the little dirt particles stick to your wash media and then get released in your bucket and float to the bottom when you rinse. "

I love ONR, but let`s be real about the dirt is released in your bucket.

Tony1
05-31-2010, 05:26 AM
In my quest to find a OTC no rinse I hit the cleaning supplies isle at WM. I found 2 potential floor cleaner products that fit the criteria. The first is Murphy`s Oil Soap which claims to be rinseless and safe for painted surfaces such as cars. Contrary to the name MOS does not contain oil but rather surficants derived from vegetable oil. It claims to be 98% derived from nature. At around $4 for a 32 ounce bottle this fits the bill for inexpensive. I added about 3 gallons of water to a bucket and then dumped some MOS in. Initially I felt as if I got the concentration too high so I continued to add water as I depleted it. The MOS felt lubricious, had great cleaning ability and wiped off leaving pretty much a filmless shine. I used both a grout sponge and MF covered mitt. The grout sponge rinsed cleaner in the bucket but had more drag across the paint. The MF covered mitt glided easier and picked up the dirt as well but retained it in the fibers similar to pictures of ONR. I washed my filthy work van and the MOS worked impressively. I sprayed the MF mitt with wheel cleaner and rinsed and the dirt and grime washed right out. The MOS is also biodegradable. Overall, considering the price MOS passed this test with flying colors IMO. I`d rank the cleaning ability well above QEW.

The Second product at WM was ARMSTRONG floor cleaner. This is a blue colored cleaner with a citrus scent. The price was higher at $5 for a 32 ounce bottle. The directions suggest 1/4 cup per gallon of water which would make the cost per gallon a bit higher than the MOS. At the suggested concentration the cleaning ability was very good and the lubricity seemed to be good with a MF covered mitt. The dirt releases easily from the mitt and stays in the bucket. It wipes clean leaving streakless windows. I`d also rank the cleaning ability of this product as higher than QEW. The lubricity can be increased with a couple sprays of your favorite QD.

I tested the PH of both products. The MOS has a higher PH of somewhere around 10 which is comparable to Megs NXT wash. The Armstrong product came in somewhere around 8.5. As a comparison Z7 wash is neutral at a 7 and Kit car wash is slightly acidic at about 6.

It`s too early for me to declare a definitive winner as both are solid performers. Each product has it`s strengths. Psychologically I feel that MOS may be less likely to marr paint since it feels a bit more lubricious.

Umm have you ever tried to do a similar experiment with regular car wash soap as a rinsleess wash? I have and it works. I posted about it here before but I was jumped on by the product collecting monkeys and the thread was locked. I find it interesting that you use floor soap and it`s not really getting that negative a reaction but I mention using actual car soap and you would think I had recommended battery acid the way some of simpletons reacted to it.

Any ways since you are in the market for an OTC replacement for QEW/ONR and are obviously willing to experiment and try different things why not try a regular car wash? I am interested to hear about your results. I used Duragloss car wash and have also tried Megs Gold Class both worked perfectly. You will probably need to experiment with dilution ratios until you get what you want.

Tony1
05-31-2010, 05:36 AM

I have not bought into that and never will. It`s a laughable claim. I have used and still do use on wheels and jambs regular car soap as a rinseless wash and it works just a swell as QEW does. In fact I would say it actually cleans better. I get no marring or soapy residue left over it just works.

I can see the product monkeys starting to swarm here and getting this thread locked like they did on other thread where I dared to try something different for a rinseless wash and committed Autopian blasphemy.

mikenap
05-31-2010, 06:33 AM
I can see the product monkeys starting to swarm here and getting this thread locked like they did on other thread where I dared to try something different for a rinseless wash and committed Autopian blasphemy.

I posted about it here before but I was jumped on by the product collecting monkeys and the thread was locked. I find it interesting that you use floor soap and it`s not really getting that negative a reaction but I mention using actual car soap and you would think I had recommended battery acid the way some of simpletons reacted to it.

Ever think of making a post without being negative and condescending? It sure would be a breath of fresh air for everybody. Maybe the reason your threads get locked is because you constantly bait people with that smugness you can`t seem to shake. It really does make it hard to take any of your suggestions seriously when it seems like you only post in order to bash "product collectors" and "simpletons."