PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Headlite Lens

JimmyS5600
05-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi All, Doing a 325 BMW with real cloudy headlite lens`. Anyone have an

opinion of the "headlite lens buffing kits"?

Thanks

JohnKleven
05-30-2010, 08:20 AM
It really just depends how comfortable you are with a buffer. If you`re not comfortable, you can follow the directions, and get it done. If you`re very comfortable with a buffer, simply purchase some 1500 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper, wetsand and polish out.

John

XL Advantage
05-30-2010, 08:23 AM
I`d be interested to hear other`s responses as well. Someone recently posted a restoration on headlight lenses that they sanded and polshed on a 96 Mustang. After his results I think I would go the sanding and polishing route as opposed to the headlight restoration kit.

Tim

imported_ErnDog
05-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Ive used Medium duty Rubbing compound with a PC 7401 on a few all with good results and nice clear lenses when Im done. I have 2 OTC kits for headlight restore that did not deliver as promised...

JimmyS5600
05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the help guys. John I do have a bunch of experience. I beleive I will

take your advise and go the wet sand and buff route.

Thanks again

gravytime
05-30-2010, 01:37 PM
A while back when my headlights were super cloudy, I used an orange pad with some Menzerna Intensive polish. Followed that up with a white pad and some FPII and it came out great.

I recently used a white pad with some Autoglym SRP to gussie them up again and they look even better now.

WMD-DFW
05-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Alot of BMW`s I`ve come across have haziness inside the headlight and that requires baking the headlights to disassemble them

Final Touch
06-01-2010, 04:22 AM
The sand and polish is the most effective so long as you don`t get carried away with the sanding on anythingthat might be tinted, I`ve managed to go through on one unfortunately.

It was on a customers car (Holden HSV GTS - like a Pontiac GTO on steroids I think) that was deeply scratched and the customer wanted me to do everything I coould to save it to avoid a replacement light. Unfortunately the scratch was too deep and the light needed replacing in the end but I was surprised at how thin the tinted layer was.

wannafbody
06-01-2010, 07:23 AM
The CV system at WalMart works for the outside.

BreakingNecks
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I`d be interested to hear other`s responses as well. Someone recently posted a restoration on hid headlight kits (http://electronicfiend.com/hid-kits/) lenses that they sanded and polshed on a 96 Mustang. After his results I think I would go the sanding and polishing route as opposed to the hid headlights (http://electronicfiend.com/hid-kits/) restoration kit.

Tim

That`s a really neat way to restore headlights.

todd@bsaw
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
That`s a really neat way to restore headlights.

That`s a really neat way to spam. You`ve been reported.

str8rcn
07-25-2010, 12:53 PM
You can actually replace just the lenses on an 02 325. It is very easy to do and a pair is less than $100. I recently did it on my 04 M3 and it was much easier that sanding and buffing.