PDA

View Full Version : P21S Paintwork Cleanser

torino06
05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
i just finished claying the car and was planning to apply the P21S Paintwork Cleanser now by hand. can someone explain the exact steps? use an applicator pad and wipe off immediately with microfiber or do you have to let it sit a bit? after you take it off do i need to wipe it down with iso alcohol? thanks a lot!

autoobsessed
05-29-2010, 04:56 PM
You just apply it with a applicator, let it sit for a few minutes until it hazes then take it off with a MF. Once the car is done you can then apply the wax.

Are you using a P21S wax as well?

torino06
05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
should i apply in small sections or can i work full panels at a time?

no i am using swissvax.

Flawbolt
05-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Small sections is recommended. Just lightly dampen the applicator pad with water and do 18x18 inch sections...no need to let it dry...apply with firm back-and-forth motions over the section two or three times and when it starts to haze you can then wipe it off and proceed to the next section.

Nagz
05-29-2010, 10:09 PM
I just finished a full detail and prepped the paint with P21S. I took a foam applicator and spread it across one full panel (like a whole door), wiped it over a few times using back and forth and overlapping motion, wiped off using a microfiber. I don`t think the directions say it needs to haze before you wipe it off.

~Jack

torino06
05-29-2010, 10:40 PM
i just got done doing the front end. To be honest i didnt notice much of a difference. i used a green foam applicator. i wonder if i had a machine if it would help...

steelwind101
05-30-2010, 05:35 AM
i just got done doing the front end. To be honest i didnt notice much of a difference. i used a green foam applicator. i wonder if i had a machine if it would help...

What were you expecting and what is the condition of your paintwork?

In my experince its a mild paintwork cleaner, so between details you would use to remove old product, the remove minor below the surface contamination. It preps fora fresh application of wax.

It has some oils so it should produce a certain degree of jetting and hide any minor swirling.

If your paintwork is a mess it wont make a huge difference. The oils in are not that amazing that will create extra metalic or pearl pop if its already highly polished.

Flawbolt
05-30-2010, 06:24 AM
steelwind101 is correct with his comment...the results you see all depend on the current condition of your paint. What car/color/year are you working on? What is the paint condition?

You already washed and clayed the car. The washing and claying have removed the majority of paint contaminants...most of which are above surface bonded contaminants...those that sit on top of the paint and give it a rough feel.

The purpose of the paintwork cleanser is to prepare the paint for your Last Step Product. Paintwork cleanser is often used on cars that will not undergo a polishing step (e.g., the paint does not have imperfections) - the idea is to wash, clay, paint cleanser, wax/sealant. If your paint has imperfections (swirls, RIDS, bird etching, etc.) then you will insert a polishing step.

If you use a small foam applicator...like the round Meguiar`s foam applicator (tan/yellow in color) then, depending on the condition of your paint, after completing a section, e.g., a hood, you should notice some residue (contaminants) on the pad...this is an indication that it is working - keep in mind that the paintwork cleanser is removing embedded contaminants - those that didn`t come off with the wash or clay.

torino06
05-30-2010, 08:38 AM
i wasnt expecting a miracle, but there were some minor bug spots and just little things that i could get with my nail for example (i know it will scratch but i just wanted to see what it was) that i thgouht the cleanser would take care of. the paintwork is not bad at all, being that the car is a garage queen pretty much.

AndyWax
05-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Bugs should be removed during wash.

torino06
05-30-2010, 11:31 PM
the bugs and paint bonded at 100+ mph.... :)