PDA

View Full Version : What pad/polish combo for next step?

Scroder
05-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Hello,

I have a 2004 white honda civic I try to keep as clean as possible. I recently placed a large order for new products and started on my car. I used a 5.5in orange Lake Country pad with Menzerna 203SP/Meguiars 105 to start and have had great results.

What do I use next to follow this up? I have Lake Country orange, white, and black pads, and a CSS green smart pad, and Meguiars 205 and Menzerna 106FAP. What would you`ll recommend for for a final pad/polish combo on my honda paint? I plan on doing KAIO after that and some collinite (to finish up protection from rough Alaska roads)--what pad do you use with the KAIO? Thanks for the help,

Dave

P.S What speed on the PC 7424 for the final polish and with the KAIO?

jono20
05-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I`d recommend megs 205 on white, followed by KAIO on black, and collonite on black.

You would probably be ok only using the collonite after 205, and use the KAIO for maintenance touch ups between polishings.

Scroder
05-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks, what speed on the PC for using the white pad. I was running it on 6 with the orange pad/M105 combo and assume I need to slow it down with the M205 to ????

Accumulator
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks, what speed on the PC for using the white pad. I was running it on 6 with the orange pad/M105 combo and assume I need to slow it down with the M205 to ????

Even though Meguiar`s talks about turning the speed down to ~4.5 with M205, I usually just keep it up at 6.

gmblack3
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Fully prime the face of the pad with M205. Use just enough to cover the face of the pad. Press the pad into a MF to remove excess.

Apply 3-4 pea sized dots to the pad.

Speed 6 with moderate constant pressure, do not let up at the end.

Scroder
06-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys--will see what happens in the morning. One problem though, using the orange pad on 6 on one door melted the backing into the foam. Is that normal?

Accumulator
06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys--will see what happens in the morning. One problem though, using the orange pad on 6 on one door melted the backing into the foam. Is that normal?

I never consider melting to be "normal". It sounds like excessive pressure (and for a looong time too, at least where the Meguair`s stuff is concerned). You`re not applying so much pressure as to impede the pad`s rotation, are you?

Heh heh...it`s not just you, lots of people seem to be mentioning melting of pads and plates these days. But gee, that`s something that`s simply *NEVER* happened to me :nixweiss

Scroder
06-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I never consider melting to be "normal". It sounds like excessive pressure (and for a looong time too, at least where the Meguair`s stuff is concerned). You`re not applying so much pressure as to impede the pad`s rotation, are you?

Heh heh...it`s not just you, lots of people seem to be mentioning melting of pads and plates these days. But gee, that`s something that`s simply *NEVER* happened to me :nixweiss

Well today the whole backing plate blew up while applying m205 lol. It has taken me a week to do the 105/205 on the car--only a few hrs at a time. I hope the plate had just had it and thats why I was having the issues with heat.

Accumulator
06-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Scroder- I dunno...to me it sounds like you were really overdoing it. But at least there shouldn`t be any need for a lot of applied pressure now that you`ve finished the M105 step and moved on to refining things with the M205.