PDA

View Full Version : Remove sealant with foam pad

Pages : [1] 2

jono20
05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I apply my paint sealants with a soft foam LC pad on my PCXP, as I`m sure a lot of people do. I follow it up by a microfiber wipe off and buff.

Does anyone use a fresh jeweling pad to remove sealant haze and buff to a shine? Or would it just get gummed up and send dust everywhere?

Legacy
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Most sealants are so easy to remove...just use a good mf towel.

Nagz
05-29-2010, 10:11 PM
I`m not sure why you would want to use a jeweling pad to remove sealant residue? Just use a plush microfiber.

jono20
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM
I just saw the guys doing it on those Aquartz videos, and wondered if anyone else used similar techniques for other sealants.

Thomas Dekany
05-30-2010, 01:50 AM
I`ve done it. I also use an MF bonett when I have them (:D)

It all depends on what you are using. I like FK1 #1000 as a sealant. Using a machine is helpful sometimes.

Accumulator
05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I`ve done it. I also use an MF bonett when I have them (:D)

It all depends on what you are using.... Using a machine is helpful sometimes.

Heh heh, that`s almost word-for-word what I was thinking :D

Yeah, I too have done the LSP-removal-via foam. Works fine with a zero-cut pad as long as the foam doesn`t get too loaded up with product residue (which can happen fast). I have some foam blocks around here somewhere that`re labeled "Wax Removal Pad", they were marketed for just this purpose.

I hardly ever do it any more though...MF has pretty much taken over for LSP buffing and I haven`t seen those foam Wax Removal Pads anywhere for years.

And yeah, good MF bonnets work swell even if you *do* usually have to give it a quick follow-up by hand to get that last 1%.

Thomas Dekany
05-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Heh heh, that`s almost word-for-word what I was thinking :D

That is cool!!!! :2thumbs:

Accumulator
05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
That is cool!!!! [that we were thinking the same thing]...

Either cool or scary! :chuckle:

Thomas Dekany
05-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Either cool or scary! :chuckle:

I think it is cool. Sometimes Great Minds (Accumulator) and waterballoon heads (me) think alike.:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Accumulator
05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Heh heh heh....

craigdt
05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
I think it is cool. Sometimes Great Minds (Accumulator) and waterballoon heads (me) think alike.:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Not sure if you are quite up to waterbaloon head level yet... :p

Where do you guys get the mf bonnets?

Accumulator
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Where do you guys get the mf bonnets?

I forget where I got my Meguiar`s ones, but any Meg`s distributor should be able to get those.

I got most of my other ones from Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com/) . Griot`s has them too, but I haven`t tried their current offerings.

One factor to satisfactory removal-by-bonnet is the pad you use (the bonnet fits over the pad). Some bonnets (Cobras come to mind) are sized so that they fit best with a wool pad, but IME the wool pads tend to squish down and stay compressed, offering less and less cushioning with continued use. Thus I prefer to use a foam pad, but it can take a little experimenting to find which pads work with which bonnets.

No such problem with the Meguiar`s bonnets, which work great over 7006 (burgundy) cutting pads. Griot`s sells a special foam pad just for use with their bonnets, so there shouldn`t be a problem there. My suede-style ones from TOL work well (on the Cyco) over yellow foam cutting pads. With others, you`ll just have to see.

Watch for the bonnets getting loaded up, which doesn`t always happen uniformly. Be careful about turning them inside out to use the other side, lest bits of the pad be stuck to the MF and cause marring (especially if you use wool pads or that Meguiar`s 7006).

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I don`t even bother with bonnets, I just use a good MF towel and drape it right over the pad. I make sure to flip it after a while (or change to another one) so it doesn`t get too loaded with product.

Works well and keeps me from having to have yet another thing in my arsenal.

Accumulator
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I don`t even bother with bonnets, I just use a good MF towel and drape it right over the pad..

Yeah, works well as long as you, uhm...pay attention and keep your wits about you. We even did it like that back in the day with the Cyclo and a cotton towel, got the idea from guys who buffed aluminum planes and trailers that way.

Mindflux
06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, works well as long as you, uhm...pay attention and keep your wits about you. We even did it like that back in the day with the Cyclo and a cotton towel, got the idea from guys who buffed aluminum planes and trailers that way.

Using a machine on a painted surface is not the job for a mindless zombie. :grrr Pay attention and all will be fine. ;)