PDA

View Full Version : buffing single stage?

Daytona_83
05-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Hey guys, I have a 1983 Pontiac Trans Am "Daytona 500" edition and the hood decal is peeling, so I`m going to get it removed. The vinyl guy says that I`m going to need to buff the hood after he`s done removing the decal. The paint on the car is single stage (no clear coat), so I`m wondering what product would work good for this kind of paint?

Setec Astronomy
05-29-2010, 07:13 AM
The Meg`s 80-series polishes were originally formulated in the days of SS...but really any good polish should be fine on SS. Just be aware that for the most part SS will be softer than the catalyzed clears used today--the exception being some white SS paints which can be very hard due to the pigment used. On a "collector" car like that with original paint I`d definitely start with the least agressive methods. In the Meg`s line, #80 was an old favorite here, or you could even step down to #82 or the similar #9.

WMD-DFW
05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Also I wouldnt go below a white pad, and your gonna also need to clean the pads alot more as the paint will transfer to the pad

wannafbody
05-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Megs is the way to go on Single Stage

Accumulator
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Taking the decal off will result in some pretty serious "residual issues" and I don`t mean just faint ghosting. Taking the graphics off back when those cars were *new* left issues that required very serious correction (BTDT back in the day). And that`s not a good idea on now-old ss paint that`s probably already been through some wear and tear over the years.

So...I`d get replacement decals to put back on the same spots.

But yeah, Meg`s is my choice too. I`d expect to need #2 (new PC-friendly version) followed by #80, but again, getting aggressive with that paint is a double-edged sword. I might even consider wetsanding, *VERY* gently, as it can sometimes give better control than aggressive buffing.

But...[repeat suggestion to just replace the decals and avoid risky stuff]

aclassvaleting
05-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Megs is the way to go on Single Stage

:LOLOL i don`t think so