PDA

View Full Version : Polishing new truck

kpinks
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Hello, last August I bought a brand new 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The paint obviously is in very good shape. I just bought a PC 7424XP DA polisher. I am a little nervous about using the polisher on the truck, as I am worried I may get swirl marks? I am reading as much info as I can to fully understand the polishing process, as I have never done it before.

Concerned

Kev

jono20
05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
It`s almost impossible to harm the paint using a 7424 DA polisher.

If all you`re looking for is maintenance, I`d recommend proper washing techniques, and the utilization of a claybar, a machine applied glaze (Poorboy`s Black Hole will do wonders on your truck if it`s dark coloured!), and a quality sealant or wax.

No point correcting the paint with abrasive polishes or compounds unless the paint needs it. It`s not going to scratch the paint, but anytime you do an abrasive correction it thins the clear coat just a little bit.

craigdt
05-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Your paint probably already has swirls, if it came from the typical dealer. The idea of a PC is to remove the swirls. If you dont use gravel as your polish, you wont install swirls.

Accumulator
05-29-2010, 10:37 AM
kpinks- You could always try a *very* gentle polish, something that`s "too mild" to do serious correction but thus soooo safe that you won`t mess anything up. While it might not get out all the marring, and thus won`t give some "Autopian Perfection"-level of finish, it`ll sure make things look nicer and give you confidence.