PDA

View Full Version : Best pad for a quick n` dirty AIO?

Pages : [1] 2

jono20
05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I do some occasional maintenance for friends and family between my other jobs. I typically talk them in to a $30 real quick wash/polish/wax/tires dressed on top of it.

Obviously Im going to use an AIO, Im not just going to throw money away. The last couple times I`ve been using Poorboy`s Pro Polish w/ Sealant on a white LC pad on a PCXP, it cleans up the paint and lays down a nice layer of protection in 20 or 30 minutes, but being a pad dependent product I`m finding it takes out basically nothing defect wise. I`m not going to clay these cars, but Id like something with a little more cut to remove tree sap, slight oxidation, light swirls, etc.

Could I move to a 5.5" orange pad instead of a 6.5" white pad, and not follow up with anything else? I`m pretty sure that light a compound couldnt possibly leave any marring or anything, but I just wanted to check with anyone that has experience using an AIO product on an orange LC pad for quick polish/wax jobs.

http://www.detailedimage.com/products/auto/25_1_med_1.pnghttp://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/ccs6orange.jpghttp://glazedistributing.com/images/PorterCable7424XP.jpg

Driven Auto Detail
05-28-2010, 05:09 AM
If I remember correctly, isn`t PB`s Polish w/Sealant a chemical polish (ie - no abrasives)? :nixweiss

I would stick with a white pad and change polishes. Something like Optimum Poli-Seal, Meg`s M66, D151, or even my new favorite, M20. I`ve really been impressed with the cleaning/polishing ability of M20 lately. Plus, I think it provides the most protection out of the products I listed. Although, M66 would be the best bang for the buck considering the price point you are charging for this service.

Regardless, I think the problem is the AIO and not the pad. If you step up to an orange pad, you could induce some marring into cars with softer paint. A white pad with an AIO that has more cut than what you`re using would be the logical next step, IMO.

rwisejr
05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
I think Megs D151 will suit your needs best

imported_MBenz
05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Poli seal with a LC green pad seems to work well for me. Though auto geek ranks it below white, I actually think it has a bit more cut.

gmblack3
05-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I think Megs D151 will suit your needs best

I hear some good things about 151 and an orange pad. Might give it a try soon.

Accumulator
05-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I`d use either a Griot`s orange or a LC tangerine.

jono20
05-28-2010, 10:58 AM
AFAIK all of Poorboy`s Pro Polishes (PwC, PwC Blue, PwS, and straight Pro Polish) are abrasive free, I have talked to them about this before and been told they can be used with cutting to remove light defects.

I did an old ford contour the other day after a tune up, I threw on Poorboy`s PwC on a white LC pad at speed 5 on my PC, though it layed down a nice layer of sheen and wax, it did almost nothing for the finish, I had to rub off a lot of the little smears with my finger.

I just wanted to know if I could up the cutting ability with the pad, strictly for cleaning purposes (want it to bite down on some of those defects and tear them off!), but still be left with a good finish.

I know I`ve used LC yellow with SSR2.5 before and been left with basically flawless results, I imagine it will be the same with and orange and a much weaker polish.

jono20
05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
wow D151 looks pretty unreal, I just have to used up this big *** bottle of PwS now ;)

Ive been very particular to Poorboy`s products in past, but it seems since Ive been dipping my toes in the pro game, there is always a much better, much cheaper Meguiars alternative...

FinishLineAuto
05-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I would consider Opti Seal, but I don`t see why the Megs products mentioned wouldn`t be good either.

jono20
05-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I just called up Autogeek and threw a gallon of D151 on to my order, lookin forward to trying it out!

IN THE MEAN TIME though, can a foam pad leave marring? Would I see any difference in finish using an orange pad over a white pad?

Tuck91
05-28-2010, 12:32 PM
D151 is a PITA to remove.

Go with #20 or #66 if you were using Meguiars.

longdx
05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I have uses PB`s PwS with my Cyclo and a light polishing pad (green) and have had great results with minor correction. I have also used Pinnacle XMT360 as an AIO.

lasthope05
05-28-2010, 01:57 PM
D151 is a PITA to remove.

Go with #20 or #66 if you were using Meguiars.

Whoa! "D151" and "PITA" should not even belong in the same sentence as D151 comes off like butter, wet or dry.

Tuck91
05-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Whoa! "D151" and "PITA" should not even belong in the same sentence as D151 comes off like butter, wet or dry.

I must have a bad gallon or something.

I apply it with my PC and a green LC pad, wait about twenty minutes to dry and when I go to remove it, it streaks and is a hard to remove.

I also cannot stand how thick it is, its easy to use too much product.

jono20
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Maybe dont wait for it to haze for so long?