PDA

View Full Version : Best all around microfiber for drying?

Pages : [1] 2

icunjl
05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I have just licenced and insured my new Mobile detail business. At this point I have a Snap-On 3500 generator, Desiderio Auto steam/vapor/extractor, on board water, Greeen / ECO friendly detail products, PC random orbital, various pads and an assortment of microfiber. When it comes to actually getting the water off the vehicle I use a water blade then blow out water residue left in the trim and cracks etc. Here is my question. When it comes to the final drying, what brand and type of microfiber towels are the best for this purpose? I was planning in using a Cobra Gold XL towel. They seem to be quite large and of excellent quality. But...a bit spendy. What are you experienced guys using that have tried them all? Dan

shadow85
05-27-2010, 08:07 AM
You use a water blade on paint?

DRT
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Not trying to be critical, but i`m with shadow on this. They do a quick job of getting water off the vehicle, but the first time it catches the tiniest speck of dirt you`re looking at scratches in the paint and more work for yourself.

Accumulator
05-27-2010, 08:39 AM
icunjl- I like the "softest in the product line" Waffle Weave MicroFibers (WWMFs). As best I can tell a lot of the "softest ones we sell" versions from different vendors are the same thing with only minor cosmetic differences.

As Shadow85 alluded to, the waterblade is risky (though efficient) ...sooner or later a speck of abrasive stuff will get trapped between the blade and the paint and you`ll instill a nasty scratch. I`d argue against the long, sweeping motions that work best with the WB anyhow; they can result in long scratches and I`d rather any scratches I inadvertenly instill be short ones that`ll be les obvious.

Striker
05-27-2010, 09:24 AM
I like the water blade on the windshield+windows.

icunjl
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I have used my California Water Blade on my expensive paint for years without a single issue. After I thoroughly rinse/ wash the car and final rinse, I have yet to damage paint at all. BUT....I am not so trusting or stubborn not to listen to sound advice. I will surely use my best judgment and just may let my air blower do most of the water removal. With that said, What type of towels are you using for the final drying off the remaining water? Dan

Accumulator
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Heh heh, this topic is an almost exact duplicate of another thread I just posted on :D

I have used my California Water Blade on my expensive paint for years without a single issue. After I thoroughly rinse/ wash the car and final rinse, I have yet to damage paint at all. BUT....I am not so trusting or stubborn not to listen to sound advice...

I too used one (actually I used a pair of them, talk about efficient!) with no problems for a long, long time...and only quit after that "it won`t happen to me!" scratch occurred :o Sounds like you might not be as stubborn as I was, no point in learning stuff the hard way.

I will surely use my best judgment and just may let my air blower do most of the water removal...

Yeah, on that other thread I just mentioned my AirWand, works great for me.

With that said, What type of towels are you using for the final drying off the remaining water?

Usually PakShak or Sonus "ultra soft" (or whatever they call `em) WWMFs. Sometimes I`ll use very plush MF mitts but those will leave a tiny bit of water behind unless things are almost completely dry already. Whatever I`m using, I almost always use a spritz of QD, which adds a touch of lubricity.

Striker
05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
I`ve also had good luck with the Megs Water Magnet Drying Towel.

JohnZ3MC
05-27-2010, 11:15 AM
The Cobra Supreme or Ultimate Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towel works really well but both are quite pricey.

I`ll sheet most of the water off first, then the towel can do the whole car, but it`s a really small car.

-John C.

icunjl
05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
What is "Sheet" ? Dan

9935annivgt
05-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Sheeting is using a slow stream of water (the hose with no nozzle) to "wash " the water off, it actually works quite well even though you would not think so.

Kean
05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Usually PakShak or Sonus "ultra soft" (or whatever they call `em) WWMFs. Sometimes I`ll use very plush MF mitts but those will leave a tiny bit of water behind unless things are almost completely dry already. Whatever I`m using, I almost always use a spritz of QD, which adds a touch of lubricity. ....this is a little off-topic but I was wondering what other MF towels you use for polish and wax removal? After buying a batch of Shamrocks and Cobra Supreme 530`s from Autogeek, I was sorely disappointed in their performance. It wasn`t anything to do with their construction, softness, etc. but the fact that they shed. The 530`s were not nearly as bad as the Shamrocks but they did leave behind visible lint on glass and black paint (the plush side more than the side with the shorter nap). I know how attuned you are to issues like these (where many may never notice) so I thought I would ask. I have had good success with the teal colored Cobra Detailing Cloths but not with their towels that have more nap and/or plushness (in regard to shedding). I`m just looking to replenish my "good" towels and also find some plusher ones for more gentle tasks. ....all without the lint issues I`ve had with the others. I appreciate the help. I`ve heard you speak of Pak Shak towels on occasion but wanted to get some feedback before wasting more money.

....sorry for the hijack OP.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Did you bother to perform a search on the subject? This is disgussed quite frequently.....

BigAl3
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
....this is a little off-topic but I was wondering what other MF towels you use for polish and wax removal? After buying a batch of Shamrocks and Cobra Supreme 530`s from Autogeek, I was sorely disappointed in their performance. It wasn`t anything to do with their construction, softness, etc. but the fact that they shed. The 530`s were not nearly as bad as the Shamrocks but they did leave behind visible lint on glass and black paint (the plush side more than the side with the shorter nap). I know how attuned you are to issues like these (where many may never notice) so I thought I would ask. I have had good success with the teal colored Cobra Detailing Cloths but not with their towels that have more nap and/or plushness (in regard to shedding). I`m just looking to replenish my "good" towels and also find some plusher ones for more gentle tasks. ....all without the lint issues I`ve had with the others. I appreciate the help. I`ve heard you speak of Pak Shak towels on occasion but wanted to get some feedback before wasting more money.

....sorry for the hijack OP.

agreed, i no longer will buy microfibers from AG anymore...

Envious Eric
05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
same here...the 530`s got about 5 uses and then were useless on paint!